Adapting Recipes for the Crockpot

blueeyes

Throughout the years I have adapted some of my recipes for the crock-pot by using these basic tips.
- I generally reduce liquid by about 1/4 because crock-pots don't require much liquid.
-when a recipe calls for dried beans, I use canned beans
-don't overdo the hot spices because they tend to get hotter when cooked slowly. I usually reduce the amount by about 1/2 and add more if needed at the end.
-If adding dairy products to a recipe, add them within the last 20 minutes of cooking
-I find the best recipes to adapt are chili, stews, roasts and soups.
I hope these guidelines help any newbies with their recipes.

Thank you so much for these crockpot cooking tips BlueEyes :)

I have trouble with dairy products that seems to break apart and now I see why. Also never thought that canned beans can do the trick, and when I don't have drye beans I used to put aside a dish until get some, but next time I will try this way.

Thank you so much for these crockpot cooking tips BlueEyes :)

I have trouble with dairy products that seems to break apart and now I see why. Also never thought that canned beans can do the trick, and when I don't have drye beans I used to put aside a dish until get some, but next time I will try this way.
Glad they were helpful MyDigitalpoint. Also if a recipe calls for uncooked pasta make sure when using the crockpot, you use cooked pasta and add it to the pot in the last 30minutes of cooking.

Glad they were helpful MyDigitalpoint. Also if a recipe calls for uncooked pasta make sure when using the crockpot, you use cooked pasta and add it to the pot in the last 30minutes of cooking.
I agree with this. If you put uncooked pasta in the crock pot and let it cook the entire time the rest is cooking, you will end up with mushy pasta. Learned that from experience :(

I agree about the pasta getting soggy if cooked for too long. I usually stay away from recipes with pasta because of this very reason. Sometimes, I have added long-grain or brown rice as a substitute for the pasta. However, make sure it is not the instant rice. That can become mushy too.

Thanks for this information! I don't use my crockpot as much as I would like to and I know it has a lot to do with adapting my recipes to my crockpot. This is some helpful information that I did not know! Thanks so much!

I agree with this. If you put uncooked pasta in the crock pot and let it cook the entire time the rest is cooking, you will end up with mushy pasta. Learned that from experience :(
Yes, I know what you mean about learning from experience. Most of these tips came from trial and error in my own kitchen, with lots of errors and wasted food...lol

Thanks for this information! I don't use my crockpot as much as I would like to and I know it has a lot to do with adapting my recipes to my crockpot. This is some helpful information that I did not know! Thanks so much!
Glad you found this useful and hope it will get you cooking with your crockpot again!!

Great tips blueeyes! I found out the hard way about the spices. I made some chili and put the regular amount of red pepper flakes and chili seasoning in right from the start. Big mistake on my part!

Throughout the years I have adapted some of my recipes for the crock-pot by using these basic tips.
- I generally reduce liquid by about 1/4 because crock-pots don't require much liquid.
-when a recipe calls for dried beans, I use canned beans
-don't overdo the hot spices because they tend to get hotter when cooked slowly. I usually reduce the amount by about 1/2 and add more if needed at the end.
-If adding dairy products to a recipe, add them within the last 20 minutes of cooking
-I find the best recipes to adapt are chili, stews, roasts and soups.
I hope these guidelines help any newbies with their recipes.
Of course you are helping. Thank you for the post. I never knew or thought before that the spices actually got hotter because of being cooked slowly. In any case, I'm a lover of spices, especially pepper. But of course, most times you're not cooking for your own stomach...so thanks for the heads up. :rolleyes:

Great tips blueeyes! I found out the hard way about the spices. I made some chili and put the regular amount of red pepper flakes and chili seasoning in right from the start. Big mistake on my part!
Oh boy! How did you fix it? Did you add anything to cool it off? Did you eat it like it was? I wonder if adding sour cream to it would cool off the pepper flakes.

Oh boy! How did you fix it? Did you add anything to cool it off? Did you eat it like it was? I wonder if adding sour cream to it would cool off the pepper flakes.

I topped mine with cheese and some sour cream. I also drank lots of tea that night. The sour cream did not really cool down the spicyness.

These are some great tips you added. Adapting a recipe is not easy. As you said trial and error is how we learn, but best if someone already knows and shares with the rest of us.

Thank you.

So glad I read through this thread. I had no idea that pasta would get mushy if you cooked it slow for so long.

I topped mine with cheese and some sour cream. I also drank lots of tea that night. The sour cream did not really cool down the spicyness.
Lol, Shelly. I found out the hard way about spices too. I do love spicy food but using the same amounts in the slow cooker, just won't do. Its just too darn hot...hehe...The first time I ended up throwing the food out, which I hate to waste. Never thought of the sour cream!

So glad I read through this thread. I had no idea that pasta would get mushy if you cooked it slow for so long.
Glad I could help. Even if you cook pasta too long in a pot of boiling water it will get mushy. And there is nothing worse than mushy pasta. Personally I like my pasta "Al dente" which is possible in a crockpot as long as you put it in at the end of the cooking cycle:)

At first a Thanks Because you added great tips , and i like this tips .......
You are very welcome. A lot of these tips are through trial and error by me. I found I didn't use my crockpot for years because I didn't know how to adapt my regular recipes. Now its not a problem :)

Wow, this is some incredibly helpful advice. I tend to not like my things too spicy, but love to go overboard when seasoning, so I will keep that in mind when I (hopefully!) get a crock for my birthday.

I have a question though- I heard that if you don't put enough stuff in the crock pot it won't cook right- so why do you reduce the water?

Thank you for the tips about not cooking the pasta in the crockpot and also about cutting back on the heat. I like my pasta perfectly cooked. With regarding the spices, sometimes I add too much and have to make adjustments accordingly.

Back