2 cups sliced okra
1 bay leaf
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
1 tablespoon hot sauce
3/4 pound cooked andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
Cooked white or brown rice

Method:

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon, letting any oil drain back into the skillet, and place in a crock pot. Scrape up any browned bits in the skillet and add them to the crock pot. Set aside.

Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the skillet and heat until hot. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully add onions, peppers, and celery and cook until the vegetables start to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups of the broth and stir until smooth and incorporated. Pour mixture into the crock pot, add okra, bay leaf, tomatoes and hot sauce; cover and turn crock pot to low. Cook for 7 to 8 hours, adding remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth, if necessary. 30 minutes before serving, add sausage and turn crock pot to high. 5 minutes before serving, add shrimp. Ladle gumbo into bowls and serve with rice.

Source: WholeFoodsMarket

thanks for sharing this recipe. I wonder what I can use in place of Okra.

Since Okra is not really the main ingredient per se, you could leave it out if you like. Not everyone likes okra. I am sure the flavors will still be wonderful!

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to leave out the okra.
Definitely agree with you Christine. Okra would ruin the gumbo for me as well but okra lovers will be delighted with this recipe. If I try this recipe it will be the first time I ever ate gumbo. Sausage and shrimp together sounds very delicious.

Back