Whole Chicken in a Crockpot

wisdom

Anyone ever done this? I'm looking for tips and recipe ideas.

I'd like the meat to be similar to a rotisserie if possible. Infused with flavor and the dark meat cooked soft.

I do cook whole chickens in the crock pot quite often. However, the result is not usually rotisserie, because I usually cook it over night. The chicken falls off the bone cooked this way. If cooked for a lesser amount of time, it may be more of rotisserie result.

I do whole chickens, but like the poster above, they come out soft and juicy. I get two meals out of it= the chicken one night, and a soup the next night.

Do you add any liquid to your chicken to have it cook in the crockpot? Maybe just a bit of water? If so, how much? I have never cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot before. Thanks.

Just a little water. Sometimes I put foil balls under the chicken to keep it up out of its juices.

Just a little water. Sometimes I put foil balls under the chicken to keep it up out of its juices.
That's a great idea to use foil balls. It is so simple but brilliant. Plus, the foil balls would be really easy to pick out with tongs when the time comes. Thank you for the great tip.

I've made the whole chicken before but the tip about using foil balls is great ! It's very convenient.

I usually keep the leftover stock and make soup with raviolis the next day. The flavors are simply amazing!

I decided to cook chicken leg quarters in the crock pot once and they came out so tender. The meat literally fell off the bone and after awhile I have to make soup or casserole with them. I also became really brave and put half of a pork butt roast in a crock pot to see if the quality of flavor would change. I had a large pork butt roast cut in half at the grocery store and then I brought it home to get it ready to be marinated overnight. I stuffed the roast with garlic cloves and used a dry rub of garlic salt mixed with garlic pepper; the flavor was amazing. I am still looking to start making casseroles in my crock pot and I am always looking for good recipes so please share guys.

That is a great idea to use the broth or stock from the chickens in the crock pot. I bet there are so many stews and soups with that good stock. I bet you can also take that stock and freeze it for late use too. What I really want to do is make my own soup one day with some egg noodles, vegetables, onions, garlic, and a little bouillon to bring out more of the flavor. You guys are giving me some great idea everyone.

I never thought of using foil balls to lift the chicken up out of the juices. I'm going to have to try this. My husband always complains about the chicken being too greasy when it cooks in the juices for a long time. This just may solve that problem for me.

Here is what we do (although I should give fair warning that my husband and I are voluntarily on a high-fat diet!)

First, we smear the chicken with butter and add seasonings. We never add any water or broth. We cook it for a solid 6 hours and then very carefully, we remove the chicken and transfer it to a pan to put in the oven at 450 for 10-20 minutes while checking it often. We then taken the left over juice and mix it with a little sour cream to make a low-carb, thick gravy for any side dishes (usually mashed cauliflower) or to add back on top of the chicken. What we end up with is a juicy but crispy chicken.

Anyone ever done this? I'm looking for tips and recipe ideas.

I'd like the meat to be similar to a rotisserie if possible. Infused with flavor and the dark meat cooked soft.

*laughs Nah, I haven't done it yet, but I would like to try :) I think that depends on the size of the crock pot and the chicken itself.

My worry about this method is that, there is a possibility that some part of the chicken might not be cooked well. But may be with a constant turning, cooking a whole chicken might be a good idea.

I've yet to do a whole chicken BUT when I have cooked a deconstructed chicken in the slow cooker I always seem to have skin issues. I love a crisp skin and it just never seems to work out that way. Is there something I can do to remedy this. A friend suggested I throw it, split and flatted, in a broiler when it's done in the slow cooker.

Back