What's the craziest thing you've made in a crock pot!?

bethvera

I've had my crock pot for about 6 months now- my husband and I got it for a wedding gift!

I've made chicken, soup, and meat dishes with it- but has anyone tried a unique recipe with theirs that they would like to share? I'm still figuring out what is all easy and possible to make with mine.

I'm also interested in making desserts with my crock pot- but haven't tried any yet or done much recipe research.

Please share!

I tried making meatloaf in mine and I did not mind the meatloaf but hubby (who is very picky) said that it turned out too greasy in the crock pot. For some reason he has an aversion to crock pot cooking. I want to try baked potatoes and also corn on the cob in mine as soon as I get a chance.

My husband is also very picky and a bit skeptical of crock pot cooking. I think it was because his mother never used one to cook while he was growing up - he was wayy too spoiled! I've never made meatloaf in my crockpot- what did you put in yours? Corn on the cob sounds delicious, too!

My sons have aversions to crockpot cooking too. I don't get it. I keep doing it though, hoping they'll realize how yummy it is

I love to try new things in my crock pot and the most recent item was bread. I made my own dough, let it rise as the instructions said. FAIL. The bread it self tasted yummy, but it looked like a really flat ciabatta bread! And then when it cooled it was hard as a rock! If anyone has ever baked bread in their crock pot and has succeeded, please share!! I'd love to try again because according to Pinterest, it works! It certainly did not for me though!

I make Chinese soups with them all the time. They are perfect to make things like eggdrop soup and chicken soup. I think you could use them to make steamed cakes and egg custards too.

I make Chinese soups with them all the time. They are perfect to make things like eggdrop soup and chicken soup. I think you could use them to make steamed cakes and egg custards too.
How hard is it to make egg drop soup? I like that kind of soup. Well, when it really yellow, I don't like it. I like it on the clearer side. And you make it in the crockpot? Have a recipe you could share?

Here's a simple one for chicken and egg-drop soup slow cooker recipe.

4 chicken thighs (with skin)
5cups chicken stock
1 piece ginger, peeled and sliced in half
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
Pinch of red pepper flakes or paprika powder
4 ounces shitake mushrooms, diced
3 green onions, sliced, tops included
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 large eggs, beaten with a fork
Salt and pepper to taste

Simmer the chicken thighs on high in a slow cooker together with the chicken stock, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes (or paprika) for about 4 hours. Remove thighs and let cool and then shred the meat, discarding skin, bones, etc. The white meat should literally fall apart from the bone.

Add all ingredients except eggs and salt and pepper. Add the shredded chicken and cook for another 2 hours.

Stir soup in a circular fashion and slowly stream in the beaten eggs.Serve, garnished with cooked rice.

I had a crazy idea to cook my own chili recipe in the crock pot. I figured the recipe calls for being cooked for hours and hours on a low heat... so using a crock pot makes sense, right? Well, it turned out great! i highly recommend a slow cook chili in the crockpot!

I actually made a cake in my crock pot a while back. I don't know why I haven't tried it again because it was good. My husband has started baking now and he uses the oven alot. I need to remind him to try that crock pot cake recipe!

I also make a lot of stews and recipes that (of course) require long cooking times. A slow cooked braised chicken or duck just falls off the bone when it's been cooked in a crock pot!

I've made bacon jam. I actually made quite a lot and gave it away as gifts during the holiday season. I would say the only thing about the recipe is the bacon has to start in a frying pan. Which is kind of a cheat if we are only speaking on something made solely in a slow cooker. If I remember correctly the recipe was in Martha Stewart Living or her website. All you need is bacon, onion, garlic, cider vinegar, dark brown sugar, maple syrup, and brewed coffee.

Back