Thrifty Crocking for Broke Moms...!

HerTasteBuds

How about some recipes that are more on the incredibly cheap side? I have two boys and a husband that seem to never stop eating. I need cheap meals with a lot of leftovers. I know I am not the only woman out there that would like to see super cheap, right? Hopefully some of my posts will help other broke Moms stretch their grocery budget. I am posting a few of my favorites that I have found on various sites. All tested and kid approved! I look forward to getting some cheap ideas in return!

Extra Apples?
Simple and Cheap Baked Apples

Ingredients:
12 medium apples (sweet), peeling is a preference and cut into chunks
(purchase cheap bags of apples)
2/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

~~NOTE COMPLEX DIRECTIONS~~
Directions:

Put all ingredients in crock-pot.
Cover and cook on low 8 hours.
Stir every now and then.

This is so easy and wonderful. I serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
This also freezes extremely well!

apples.jpg

I have to admit that I am a grocery store scavenger. I make it a point to arrive early and wait for the meat department to put out the reduced meats. I can stock up on some good quality cuts and save a ton of money. This recipe by far is the greatest!

Ingredients:
A few good steaks - mine were all discounted ribeye steaks
A few big potatoes
A few ears of corn - I like the minis, they fit better in the crock

Directions:
Slap your steaks onto a sheet of foil, smother in your favorite sauces and seasonings, seal very well.
Roll your potatoes up in foil - My preference is to rub the skin with a bit of oil and salt. This was the only way to get my boys to eat the skin.
Again, roll your corn in foil - I sprinkle with salt, pepper and a smidge of sugar and add a few tabs of butter.

Pack you crock meat first then veggies in no particular order. Cook 6 hours on high. If you sealed your foil well, you do not have to scrub out your crock for the next use!
foil2.jpg
steak.JPG
These are hijacked photos but they perfectly represent how everything looks!

Mexican Night!
Tamale Pie

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained - Mexican style if you have them
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn - canned works in a pinch
1 (2-1/4-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained - optional, I personally do not like them1 medium-sized onion, diced
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix - add an additional pack if you like your taste buds more stimulated!2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:
Mix everything together in your crock EXCEPT for the corn bread and cheese
Prepare your cornbread like normal - separate bowl of course and spoon on top of beef mix
Sprinkle cheese atop your corn bread mix
Cover your crock and cook on high for 3 hours or until cornbread is done...YUM!
Tamale-Pie-RE-b.jpg

I only buy things that are on sale - I watch my local flyer (I only have one grocery store so I'm very limited) and I only buy what's on sale in the flyer or in the store. Because of this we eat a lot of chicken and pork since beef is horribly expensive right now. I try to change it up for my family so that one night we eat chicken and the next night we eat pork and then at least one night a week I don't do crockpot cooking at all and maybe make a homemade pizza or something along that lines. I feed a family of 5 for about $100/week.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Michigan we have this store called Blue Knight. They have really cheap food there. A lot of the food is a little outdated but they have a lot of meat that you get really good deals on. You can't find better deals on meat than you can at that store! The only thing you have to be careful of is buying salad dressing or mayonnaise there, I never do and never would. If you have a Blue Knight store located close to you I'd definitely check it out.

Back