Those veggies that yeild MASSIVE stock?

RoseThurst

What are those veggies that grow like crazy for you? I live in Chicago currently, so I can't start a garden right now (though you can buy a plot in a community garden, I think), but I grew up in California. My grandma, who I stayed with often while growing up, had a huge garden.

We had a few things that, once they grew, grew like crazy.

The old orange tree in the back yard. the future falls off the tree faster than we can eat it.

Green beans

cherub tomatos

Broccoli also has a good yeild, but we didn't pick it that often because I worried using it too much would kill the plant.

Strawberries, alas, always had a terrible yield.

My best experiences were with :
Figs - really grow alot but need alot of heat
Apples - need I say more? :)
Cherries - you get alot from a single tree

If I could choose one I would pick the figs because they are pretty exotic and not widely available like apples and cherries! :)

The cold in Chicago ends up murdering everything I plant until the spring when I wait and see who will be resurrected and who I have to replant. I understand your frustration. Actually, my neighbour has a VERY successful peach tree. It seems like trees fair better.

Trees always fair better. Our fig tree froze last year but we cut off the upper part and the core was still healthy! It just continued to grow after that. :)

I would love to grow a fig tree. Do you have any suggestions in my bitter cold winter time climate? I'm wondering if there are things I should do to make sure the tree flourishes? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Honestly I am not too sure that it can grow in bitter cold winter conditions :/

How hot are your summers ? The fig is basically hot climate oriented but can be grown in climates a bit colder than that (average). If your summers dont have atleast 2 months of temperatures above 30 C I dont think its the best idea.

It's tough to gauge at this point. Climate change seems to dictate the temperatures. It was fifty degrees (10 C) on a Monday while kicking right down to 10 degrees (-12 C) again on Tuesday. lol I hope my temperature translations were correct. It's been a while.

In Oklahoma, cucumbers grow like crazy for a friend of mine. He will have so many that he cannot give them away after eating his fill of them. I hope to learn to make pickles this year with some of the cucumbers he will have left over.

In New York, I always had luck with strawberries, blueberries and tomatoes. This year, I also planted carrots, honeydew mellon, cucumbers, peppermint and sage. Weather is always a factor but mainly, birds, squirrels, raccoons and possums are destroyers of my garden. I planted in containers this year and I will put some chicken wire around the containers. Hopefully, that will keep the critters away.:oops:

I live 70 miles from Chicago straight west and I can't seem to grow anything but weeds. I don't have to try to hard for them but we have tried several different things but I have resorted to tomatoes in containers. Not sure yet this year but last year we had hanger cherry tomatoes that seem to do good but not "grow like crazy"and we used miracle grow with them.

I'm in southern Illinois and I always do well with tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, hot peppers and blackberries.

TreasaL I am from Northern Il, Rockford to be exact. How far apart are we?
I am charlye, wonderful dh, 2 kids, 2 adult granddaughters, I am teaching them some cooking and they are teaching me juiceing. Wonderful g-kids. I am going to teach them to sew. We are going to make quilts for them before winter. They will be cutting, figuring what they want and what they are going to do. I will help ghem as this is their first quilt.i will teach them enough hand quilting so they at least know how
and how to bind it cast they want to make more. I hope thet will enjoy it enough the can continue quilting. They have done plastic canvas since they were very young. We taught they to make Barbie doll furnature. Oooops all of thids is in the wrong place. How do I move it Barbara G? Sorry..charlye
((HUGS)))nite it is 5:03 am here.

Oooops all of thids is in the wrong place. How do I move it Barbara G? Sorry..charlye

Hello Charlye,

What were you wanting to move? Or, where do you want the above post moved to?

Thank you for letting me know and I will be glad to assist. ;)

I threw some green bean seeds into a pot outdoors and these are the results: I have to figure out how to get more than one serving. :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    744.8 KB · Views: 8
TreasaL I am from Northern Il, Rockford to be exact. How far apart are we?
I am charlye, wonderful dh, 2 kids, 2 adult granddaughters, I am teaching them some cooking and they are teaching me juiceing. Wonderful g-kids. I am going to teach them to sew. We are going to make quilts for them before winter. They will be cutting, figuring what they want and what they are going to do. I will help ghem as this is their first quilt.i will teach them enough hand quilting so they at least know how
and how to bind it cast they want to make more. I hope thet will enjoy it enough the can continue quilting. They have done plastic canvas since they were very young. We taught they to make Barbie doll furnature. Oooops all of thids is in the wrong place. How do I move it Barbara G? Sorry..charlye

I checked with Mapquest and we are about 380 miles from one another, Charlye. I am almost all the way at the bottom of the state near the Kentucky border. It's about a 6 hour drive for me to get to the outskirts of Chicago.

OK. Here is another pic. This is one of my tomatoes plants. I don't seem to have a problem with tomatoes.

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 10
I also have a sage plant and peppermint plant. I am so excited that they are thriving so well. I'm not sure what to do with them come fall and before the frost. I assume that I can cut the leaves from the peppermint plant and make tea. But what to do about the sage. I just love that pungent smell.

I also have a sage plant and peppermint plant. I am so excited that they are thriving so well. I'm not sure what to do with them come fall and before the frost. I assume that I can cut the leaves from the peppermint plant and make tea. But what to do about the sage. I just love that pungent smell.
Do you cook with a lot of sage? You could dehydrate it and store it in a mason jar then just use it like you would store bought seasoning, only a littlel ess because its fresher.

Back