Thanksgiving in a Slow Cooker?

bethvera

My grandma has always been in charge of making all our Thanksgiving meals, however I understand that at some point someone will have to take over her legacy and be in charge of Thanksgiving, and that could very well be me someday. She usually makes a turkey (which obviously, I know you couldn't put a whole huge turkey in a slow cooker), some form of potatoes, a casserole with green beans, cranberries, stuffing, etc.

I'm sure there is a way to make a whole Thanksgiving dinner from crockpots. I'm sure you'd have to buy multiple or borrow from friends so you could cook everything at once. Has anyone ever done this or would think about trying it? Making an entire holiday meal via the crockpot?!

The only parts of the Thanksgiving meal we put in crockpots are the mashed potatoes, peas, corn. We have 4 crockpots full of mashed potatoes and 1 full of gravy. If you put the potatoes in the crockpot, you need to make sure they have enough liquid in them so they don't get dry. Also, put them on warm. We also have 1 small crockpot full of peas and 1 with corn.

Thanks for the ideas Mindy! Mmm...mashed potatoes in a crockpot sound so good! You don't own four crock pots, do you? Or is it where everyone chips in and brings theirs? You must have a big gathering to need four full of potatoes! We've never had peas at my thanksgiving...only green beans!

Thanks for the ideas Mindy! Mmm...mashed potatoes in a crockpot sound so good! You don't own four crock pots, do you? Or is it where everyone chips in and brings theirs? You must have a big gathering to need four full of potatoes! We've never had peas at my thanksgiving...only green beans!
We have a very large family that loves mashed potatoes. At my family Thanksgiving, we have 14 adults, 5 teenagers (3 being boys), a 9 and 8 and 6 year old, a 4 year old, two 3 year old, a 1 year old, and another one on the way. So that's 26 mouths to feed. That's the immediate family too! The veggies we serve are baby peas, corn, and green bean casserole. Lots of yummy food that disappears quickly.

If my Mama could cook the turkey in a crock pot she would. She did buy a big roaster (some electrical gadget) that she cooked the turkey in last year. It was a change of pace from using the stove and the turkey tasted great. We are much like @MindyT and we put the side dishes in the crockpots to keep them warm during the meal. We have quite a few people at our get together's as well and we usually end up with around five crockpots being used.

I've made a turkey in a slow cooker many times. It always comes out real delicate and juicy. I few times I actually deep fried the turkey and I'd have to say I like the taste a lot better. It took about the same amount of time and effort as in the slow cooker too. I think it might be a little more fattening deep fried but that's what Thanksgiving is all about isn't it?

Back