Tacos In A Crock Pot?

kmommy37

Is it possible to make tacos in a crock pot? I have seen numerous recipes online but I am not sure if I trust the texture and flavor of tacos in a crock pot. Has anyone in this forum ever made tacos in the crock pot and if so how was your experience? I hope there are delicious taco dishes coming from the crock pot, honestly.

I have never actually put raw ground meat in the crock pot for my tacos. I always brown my meat in the frying pan first and drain all of the grease. I then add all of the ingredients and let it warm up in the crockpot. I don't see anything wrong with the texture. I do mix mine with precooked rice to extend the meat. We have a big family so I cut costs where I can. I have also used cooked shredded chicken in this manner. After it is warm I spoon it into my warm tortillas.

I completely agree with you ShellyAnn and I am quite afraid of even putting raw ground meat in a crock pot personally. Like you, I would cook the ground meat in a skillet, drain the grease, and then put the meat with the ingredients in the crock pot actually. I have a small family and I am still cutting costs where I ever I can. The finances are very tight and I am looking to start using my crock pot more than usual because I want to make big meals with the possibility of plenty of leftovers. So I completely understand your feelings on that one, ShellyAnn.

I do the same thing as those posted above. I cook my meat on the stove. Then I put it in my crockpot.

Instead of rice (which I have done before too), I add hashbrowns. They are the square hashbrowns. I think they are called home styled. That helps spread the meat out and fills bellies faster than rice.

I completely agree with you ShellyAnn and I am quite afraid of even putting raw ground meat in a crock pot personally. Like you, I would cook the ground meat in a skillet, drain the grease, and then put the meat with the ingredients in the crock pot actually. I have a small family and I am still cutting costs where I ever I can. The finances are very tight and I am looking to start using my crock pot more than usual because I want to make big meals with the possibility of plenty of leftovers. So I completely understand your feelings on that one, ShellyAnn.

I have heard of people cooking meatloaves in a crockpot before but I have never tried it. Making sure the meat is done is first priority for me. I hope you find lots of inexpensive meals to prepare in your crockpot! We use leftovers all the time. Lunch the next day is always yummy with leftovers.

I do the same thing as those posted above. I cook my meat on the stove. Then I put it in my crockpot.

Instead of rice (which I have done before too), I add hashbrowns. They are the square hashbrowns. I think they are called home styled. That helps spread the meat out and fills bellies faster than rice.

I have never thought about using hashbrowns before. That is rather interesting. Thanks for the tips.

Wow, now that is brave to have a meatloaf in the crock pot to me! Again, my fear is that the meat will not be cooked thoroughly in the crock pot and food poisoning can be an issue. Unfortunately, I have suffered the effects of salmonella from under cooked chicken and it is horrible; by the way, I did not prepare the chicken I was ill from. I am all about leftovers and today’s lunch can definitely come from last night’s dinner. These days, you have to make your meals and your wallet stretch far for your family.

My stomach literally growled from the thought of using hash browns instead of rice! That is something I definitely want to give a try. Sounds like that would be perfect for breakfast tacos! Yum.

Wow, now that is brave to have a meatloaf in the crock pot to me! Again, my fear is that the meat will not be cooked thoroughly in the crock pot and food poisoning can be an issue. Unfortunately, I have suffered the effects of salmonella from under cooked chicken and it is horrible; by the way, I did not prepare the chicken I was ill from. I am all about leftovers and today’s lunch can definitely come from last night’s dinner. These days, you have to make your meals and your wallet stretch far for your family.

yes I have seen lots of crock pot recipes on Pinterest and meatloaf was one of them. I have thought about it and thought about it but never had the nerve to try it.

I just started getting into Pinterest and I have found some really useful recipes too. Meatloaf is touchy subject in my house because my husband does not eat meatloaf but I had it plenty as a kid. There are days that I would to prepare meatloaf because it can go a long way and there are many delicious meatloaf dishes out there. I am still not sure about making meatloaf in the crock pot though.

Tacos are still up in the air for me right now. I would love to make a good chicken pot pie from scratch and I think that the best way would be in a crock pot. I have seen only a few recipes that I like too. It can be difficult to come with decent crock pot with a seven year old that happens to be a picky eater as well. Here’s one recipe I found that I really like and I hope it tastes as great as it looks.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Pot-Pie-Stew/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

I have never actually put raw ground meat in the crock pot for my tacos. I always brown my meat in the frying pan first and drain all of the grease. I then add all of the ingredients and let it warm up in the crockpot. I don't see anything wrong with the texture. I do mix mine with precooked rice to extend the meat. We have a big family so I cut costs where I can. I have also used cooked shredded chicken in this manner. After it is warm I spoon it into my warm tortillas.
adding rice is such a good idea! Thank you ! With my fast growing family and my son whom eats enough for a pro wrestler I often wonder how I will feed him when he becomes a teenager! Great tip

Back