Steaming Vegetables while Cooking Stew - ALL in the Crock Pot!

The Aspertarian

Recently I was cooking a stew in my crock pot and decided I wanted side of steamed Brussels sprouts. However, I did not have a way to cook them without tearing apart my kitchen area (long story).

Anyway, I got a foil pie pan and poked several holes in the bottom. I placed the Brussels sprouts in the pan, seasoned them and set them in the crock pot over the stew about a half hour or so before the stew was done. The lip of the pan fit perfectly on the rim of the pot.

When the stew was ready so were the Brussels sprouts! Of course now my mind is just going in all different directions, thinking of the possibilities. Has anyone else done this? Recipes? Tips?

I have done the exact same thing. However, I have a rack that is oval and just about the shape of my slow cooker. I use this instead and things steam beautifully. If I'm not mistaken I think that some rice cooker models also have a steamer for fish and veggies. It's a nice convenient all-in-one method.

This is a wonderful idea! I love steamed veggies and this sounds like a great way to keep the veggies you want separate while still slow cooking (steaming) them! Thanks for the share!

I have never tried this but I will now. That is pure genius! I have a steamer but why run two appliances when 1 can do the job. Great idea!

Recently I was cooking a stew in my crock pot and decided I wanted side of steamed Brussels sprouts. However, I did not have a way to cook them without tearing apart my kitchen area (long story).

Anyway, I got a foil pie pan and poked several holes in the bottom. I placed the Brussels sprouts in the pan, seasoned them and set them in the crock pot over the stew about a half hour or so before the stew was done. The lip of the pan fit perfectly on the rim of the pot.

When the stew was ready so were the Brussels sprouts! Of course now my mind is just going in all different directions, thinking of the possibilities. Has anyone else done this? Recipes? Tips?
What a great idea! I am going to try this to steam hard boiled eggs. Did you know that steaming farm fresh hard boiled eggs instead of boiling them lets you easily peel the shells off? Fresh hard boiled eggs from a farm generally are hard to peel. Thanks for the tip, will be using it often.

Back