Starting off with the crockpot and finishing off with the broiler/oven

knoonz

Anyone else do this?

I'm wondering because while I absolutely love chicken that falls right off the bone, I'm also very particular to a crispy "breading" (I do low-carb cooking, so it's usually more of an almond flour or cheese coating.) We tend to slow-cook drumsticks, for instance, for 6 hours and will then put them in the broiler for a quick 5, flipping them.

When we do it right, it's fantastic. However, sometimes they fall apart in the process. They still taste amazing though!

I've cooked roasts this way plenty of times. I just leave it in the crock pot for about three hours then after that I stick it in the oven for another hour. It turns out great every time this way and I always use this method now. The meat is so tender that you can cut it with a spoon. If you've never prepared meat this way you should definitely try it, you won't be disappointed.

Yes this is a good idea to give it that crisp taste and texture. I am finding that if I do this with our crockpot meals that hubby is more accepting of them. He just had to have that crisp effect! It does not take long to accomplish either!

Back