Slow-Cooked Orange Chicken Crockpot Recipe

Shellyann36

Slow-Cooked Orange Chicken Crockpot Recipe

I will be trying this tomorrow for supper.

1 broiler-fryer chicken (3lbs) cut up and skin removed
3 cups orange juice
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
4 tsp dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 Tbsp. Corn starch
3 Tbsp. cold water
Hot rice, optional

Combine the first 9 ingredients in a slow-cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until meat juices run clear. Combine cornstarch and water until mooth, stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high for 30 to 45 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired.

I will let you know how it turns out.

I was wondering if we could substitute the orange juice with lemon juice instead. We could end up making lemon chicken instead! Either way, I'm going to try this recipe too.

Hope it's not too late to ask. Did you already eat all this yummyness up? If not, could you post a photo please? I really want to see how this turns out. Orange Chicken is one of my all time favorites and I've never had it slow cooked before! :D

I was wondering if we could substitute the orange juice with lemon juice instead. We could end up making lemon chicken instead! Either way, I'm going to try this recipe too.

I would say that you could. It would be tangy instead of having the sweetness of the oj.

Hope it's not too late to ask. Did you already eat all this yummyness up? If not, could you post a photo please? I really want to see how this turns out. Orange Chicken is one of my all time favorites and I've never had it slow cooked before! :D

I was going to snap a picture but I forgot. It was very good and we like it. We are going to have it again. I am going to leave the mushrooms out next time around though (not big mushroom eaters here) and substitute some carrots I think.

Interesting. The orange chicken recipe i have always used involved condensing orange juice, adding seasonings to it and tossing chunks of breaded and fried chicken in the resulting thick orange sauce. I like that it comes out crispy when fried in a wok! does the crock pot come out like traditional new york style orange chicken, or is it a different texture from the slow cooking?

Last night, I was talking to my niece, and the topic was Orange Chicken. My mother used to make it in certain occasions. I was asking her if she had a recipe for this dish.
I open the forum today, and there it is. Thank you for providing it.

I will be having some this weekend.

Back