Quick thinking throwdown dinner!

K Massman

We have been snowed in for the last four days and I haven't been able to get to the store. I'm trying to get back on a healthier eating regimen so I started digging through the freezer early this morning. I wanted something I could throw in and forget because everyone is taking shifts helping to dig people out and are in and out. I found the leftover shredded turkey from Thanksgiving...lol. So, I then started digging through the pantry to see what else I could throw in there. I found a can of fire roasted tomatoes and jalepenos. Enough said!! I went to the spice cabinet and pulled cumin, garlic, smoked paprika and chili seasoning out. I put that all in the crockpot together and then threw some fresh cilantro I had hanging out in the fridge. It smells amazing and I'm figuring throwing that on some whole wheat tortilla's sounds pretty good and rounding it out with Mexican Rice! Sometimes, these throwdown recipes are my better ones!

I've been in this situation a few times. Actually, it's a good problem to have because you can get creative and you can discover some dishes that you normally wouldn't have made otherwise. I love chicken noodle soup in the winter but I didn't have any. I did have some noodles but no chicken. I had a small roast in the freezer and made it in my crock pot, cooked up some noodles and broth and I had a great soup! Roast beef instead of chicken tastes a lot better in my opinion and I would've never found out if I wasn't out of chicken noodle soup.

Back