pumpkins

ambersummer

Does anyone grow their own pumpkins? I'm trying for the first time this year. Have a little patch over at my aunt's farm, about 7 or 8 rows. I may have planted them a little late... some are growing a lot better than the others though.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on fertilizers or tricks to make them grow bigger & faster!

Here's a picture of them I took this morning :)

Attachments

• IMG_8109.JPG
    IMG_8109.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 12
I have grown pumpkins several times and they do not seem to need much care other then they need to be watered and not left to let the soil get too dry. As with all plants, they need to fertilized with miracle grow or your choice of fertilizer. The one thing that you have to be careful about is not to let the pumpkins lie in water from rain or your own watering as they tend to rot fast. Please show us a picture of your patch in Fall before you harvest them.

I have never had good luck with pumpkins. I get gorgeous vines and the plants flower but they never seem to get pollinated because I never get pumpkins. I hope you have better luck.

I once grew a few punkins, not a many as you have and they really liked miracle grow. But if you want to stay organic there are some good organic fertilizers too. Keep posting pics. I would love to see your fall harvest.

the pumpkins are getting big, fast! but we've been getting a lot of rain the past two weeks, and I think that's been the biggest help!

Attachments

• IMG_8107.JPG
    IMG_8107.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
So ready for fall!!
They look great !!! What are you going to do with them? Are they the type for jack O' lanterns or are they pie pumpkins? I love to use pumpkins for decorating during the fall. I am sure you saved a lot of money by growing your own instead of buying them.

I'm hoping to have enough for jack o lanterns and pumpkin pie! Plus I love roasting pumpkin seeds. I'll have to wait and see how many turn out. Looks like a good bunch though.

Probably not sell any. Just share with family and friends this go around. Maybe if we have a good turn out we'll try for bigger & better next year!

I can imagine! If you're able to grow enough produce, it probably is really profitable. I live in a small town in the south, and there are a lot of locals that sell produce at farmer's market. Some have even made deals with the local grocery stores to supply their produce. There are little roadside stands set up all over the county during the summer/early fall. It's great. I wish I was able to grow more to sell! We even have local ice cream shops that let local farmers sell their produce there. It's really great.

Back