okra?

ambersummer

I was given some okra this weekend ("some" meaning way, way, way too much). I asked a few friends and family what to do with it, what they do with it, and the answer was the same--they just add it to soups and chilis. Since it's still really hot summer and I won't be making soup or chili for a while... I cleaned and froze some of the okra to use in the fall/winter.

But does anyone have any summer recipes for okra? I still have a ton. Way too much to freeze and use later; I'd like to use up some now. Open to any suggestions! Thanks! :)

I have to admit, I usually fry up fresh okra when we grow it. I also cut some up and freeze it to add to gumbo and other dishes later on.

Here is a crockpot recipe for Stewed Okra:

2 large tomatoes, diced
1½ cups diced okra
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon hot sauce

Add to crock and cook for two hours on low heat.

Source: NetPlaces

Slow Cooker Chicken & Okra Recipe

Ingredients

4 bone-in chicken legs
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
3 teaspoons canola oil, preferably organic, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 large onions, sliced (French cut)
1 ½ teaspoon dry Italian Seasoning
½ cup dry red wine
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped green olives
2 bell peppers any color, or 4 cubanelle peppers, cored and sliced
3 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Instructions
Cut chicken legs into two pieces, along the fat line that runs between the thigh and drumstick. Remove skin, trimming at the bottom of the drumstick if necessary. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side. (Note: The chicken will not be cooked through.) Transfer the chicken to the insert of a slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reducing heat to medium as necessary to prevent scorching.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.

Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato and olives, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Pour tomato mixture over the onions. Add peppers to the slow cooker and cover.

Turn slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4. In last half hour of cooking, remove lid and layer okra on top. Cover and let continue to cook the remaining 30 minutes.
To serve gently remove chicken pieces to pasta bowls. Stir the vegetables together. Ladle the vegetable mixture around the meat and top with a generous amount of parsley.

Source: Healthy Seasonal Recipes

Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup With Okra

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian diced tomatoes, drained
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon ketchup
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until beef is evenly brown and onion is tender. Drain grease.
In a slow cooker, mix the beef and onion, diced tomatoes, Italian diced tomatoes, vegetables, okra, potatoes, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Pour in enough water to cover.
Cover slow cooker, and cook 4 hours on Low.

Source: Soup Formula

If you want to make this without the ground beef, it should also work well as a vegetarian dish.

I have to admit, I usually fry up fresh okra when we grow it. s

do you have a fryer? I was thinking about frying it, but I don't have a fryer and so all the instructions I saw were heating oil in a pan and coating the okra in breadcrumbs... seemed like a good risk of getting burnt with popping oil.

do you have a fryer? I was thinking about frying it, but I don't have a fryer and so all the instructions I saw were heating oil in a pan and coating the okra in breadcrumbs... seemed like a good risk of getting burnt with popping oil.

I do use a fryer sometimes, and other times I use the pan. I don't seem to have any issues with the popping oil as long as it does not get too hot. I like to use a little cornmeal and Cajun seasoning when cooking it this way. It cooks up pretty quickly, too.

I was given some okra this weekend ("some" meaning way, way, way too much). I asked a few friends and family what to do with it, what they do with it, and the answer was the same--they just add it to soups and chilis. Since it's still really hot summer and I won't be making soup or chili for a while... I cleaned and froze some of the okra to use in the fall/winter.

But does anyone have any summer recipes for okra? I still have a ton. Way too much to freeze and use later; I'd like to use up some now. Open to any suggestions! Thanks! :)
We cook it outdoors on the grill sometimes. Its real easy and you do not have to worry about getting splattered with grease. Just cut the ends off of the okra, wash it off and place it on the grill whole. Cook on a low temperature if using a gas grill. You could wrap it in foil if you want or put any kind of spices on it that you like. Check it often to see if it is tender and then its done. I much prefer doing it this way than frying in a pan and there is no clean up.

Back