Off to Buy a New Crockpot. But Which Should You Buy?

Susan Mann

Barbara mentioned that she has one crockpot with three small pots. I Googled crockpot pictures to get an idea of what that looks like. Also, Ruditudi mentioned she has nine, which made me wonder how much difference there could be from one crockpot to another. Wow! There are many different kinds of every size, shape, and color. This led me to wonder, “How does one choose what to buy, when there are so many available?”
So, after a bit of research, this is what I came up with this list of questions to ask yourself when you are ready to add to buy you first crockpot or add to your collection:
How much do you need to cook?
I have a very large crockpot I have used for years. When all four children were home, this was the only size I used. It was also used for large groups at church potlucks and extended family gatherings. Now it is used for soups and sauces in the winter and to make apple butter in the fall.
My quart crockpot is used most of the time now that I only cook for my husband and me. The tiny crockpot I have (acquired from a relative who did not want it) was originally marketed for fondue. I use it for nacho sauce (very rarely, as we are trying to lose weight!).
I think one reason many of us have more than one is that we need different sizes.
What material do you prefer?
If you are a klutzy cook, remember that crockpots can chip and break. A metal pot or slow cooker might be a good choice for you.
Also, consider the composition of the lid. My quart size pot has a deformed lid. I turned the crockpot on once with the plastic lid inverted on top. The lid melted. It still works; in fact, it is convenient if I start with something that sticks up a bit on top at the beginning of cooking. It does look very weird, however.
What color?
Okay, so some of you probably don’t care. However, if you are slightly OCD (We use to call this being a perfectionist!) color may be important. Have no fear; crockpots come in every conceivable color.
Other Considerations
I love the auto-shift setting, so that is something I want. If you can conceive of an option that is important to you, they probably make a crockpot with that option available.
Also, check out accessories such as liners, dividers, dust covers, and travel covers.
Well, after looking at pictures, knowing about a three-pot option, and that you cannot have too many crockpots (Thanks, Ruditudi!) I think I am ready for a crockpot shopping trip!

I also have 3 different crock pots. One is very small. It probably holds about a pint and I would use it for dips like cheese sauce too. It has just an on/off switch and is a one-piece which makes cleaning it a pain. I have a large one I use for stews and casseroles and midsize one for the occasional side dish or for parties when I need more than one. My favorite feature on the newer models is the auto-shift. What a life-saver that has been. Thanks for the tips on what to look for next time I'm in the market for a new one.

Barbara mentioned that she has one crockpot with three small pots. I Googled crockpot pictures to get an idea of what that looks like. Also, Ruditudi mentioned she has nine, which made me wonder how much difference there could be from one crockpot to another. Wow! There are many different kinds of every size, shape, and color. This led me to wonder, “How does one choose what to buy, when there are so many available?”
So, after a bit of research, this is what I came up with this list of questions to ask yourself when you are ready to add to buy you first crockpot or add to your collection:
How much do you need to cook?
I have a very large crockpot I have used for years. When all four children were home, this was the only size I used. It was also used for large groups at church potlucks and extended family gatherings. Now it is used for soups and sauces in the winter and to make apple butter in the fall.
My quart crockpot is used most of the time now that I only cook for my husband and me. The tiny crockpot I have (acquired from a relative who did not want it) was originally marketed for fondue. I use it for nacho sauce (very rarely, as we are trying to lose weight!).
I think one reason many of us have more than one is that we need different sizes.
What material do you prefer?
If you are a klutzy cook, remember that crockpots can chip and break. A metal pot or slow cooker might be a good choice for you.
Also, consider the composition of the lid. My quart size pot has a deformed lid. I turned the crockpot on once with the plastic lid inverted on top. The lid melted. It still works; in fact, it is convenient if I start with something that sticks up a bit on top at the beginning of cooking. It does look very weird, however.
What color?
Okay, so some of you probably don’t care. However, if you are slightly OCD (We use to call this being a perfectionist!) color may be important. Have no fear; crockpots come in every conceivable color.
Other Considerations
I love the auto-shift setting, so that is something I want. If you can conceive of an option that is important to you, they probably make a crockpot with that option available.
Also, check out accessories such as liners, dividers, dust covers, and travel covers.
Well, after looking at pictures, knowing about a three-pot option, and that you cannot have too many crockpots (Thanks, Ruditudi!) I think I am ready for a crockpot shopping trip!

Hi Susan Mann, I have a Fondue size I use for dips, warm for certain things, 3 1/2 qt Round with manual control (Its just us 3) so OK and a 5 qt. Round auyumayic, forgot OhOH!! a 5 qt Oval Ive never used , Any ideas to make in Oval Pot to freeze foods?? Thanks

I also have 3 different crock pots. One is very small. It probably holds about a pint and I would use it for dips like cheese sauce too. It has just an on/off switch and is a one-piece which makes cleaning it a pain. I have a large one I use for stews and casseroles and midsize one for the occasional side dish or for parties when I need more than one. My favorite feature on the newer models is the auto-shift. What a life-saver that has been. Thanks for the tips on what to look for next time I'm in the market for a new one.

Good MorningTeresa, I was just ready Susan Manns idea for new Pot, very nice & helpful. You gave me a good idea, to use my 1 3 1/2 Pot doesnt come out & 3 1/2 Pot comes out for ?? Thanks for sharing.

Good MorningTeresa, I was just ready Susan Manns idea for new Pot, very nice & helpful. You gave me a good idea, to use my 1 3 1/2 Pot doesnt come out & 3 1/2 Pot comes out for ?? Thanks for sharing.

Hello,

I like the crockpots with the crock that comes out. It makes them so much easier to clean as well as allow to cool and place them in the fridge if there is leftovers.

Hello,

I like the crockpots with the crock that comes out. It makes them so much easier to clean as well as allow to cool and place them in the fridge if there is leftovers.

differnce??

I do too especially the Lg ones. I am going to check on covers as 1 I have is plastic & doesnt fit tight. Should covers fit tight & glass or plastic any

There is always a danger of melting the top, which I did by not removing my inverted lid when I plugged it in and turned it on! It still works, just looks funny. I prefer the glass lids. My glass lid doesn't fit extremely "tight," but I it does fit the area and I would not call it "loose." I always have leftovers when I use the crock pot, so one that comes out is a necessity. Plus, cleaning those which do not come out is a pain. My little one is that kind and I don't use it often because of the inconvenience when it comes to cleaning it.

There is always a danger of melting the top, which I did by not removing my inverted lid when I plugged it in and turned it on! It still works, just looks funny. I prefer the glass lids. My glass lid doesn't fit extremely "tight," but I it does fit the area and I would not call it "loose." I always have leftovers when I use the crock pot, so one that comes out is a necessity. Plus, cleaning those which do not come out is a pain. My little one is that kind and I don't use it often because of the inconvenience when it comes to cleaning it.

Good-Morning Susan Mann, I have checked mine and 1 olastic lid im going to replace for glass as I remember my oldest used it & broke the lid . Thank you. Im going to make soup tomorrow for Hubby wants potatoe soup. Ill prepare for that tonight & in early Wed.

Also remember when the lid does not fit well, you can lose some of the heat during the cooking process. One of my older crockpots the lid does not fit as well. My newer crockpot actually has a rubber seal on it so that it will not allow heat to escape which I really like.

Also remember when the lid does not fit well, you can lose some of the heat during the cooking process. One of my older crockpots the lid does not fit as well. My newer crockpot actually has a rubber seal on it so that it will not allow heat to escape which I really like.

I did'nt know of a seal on lid. I will check that out. Thanks for tip.

Does anyone know if crocks can be used interchangeably between bases assuming the crock is the same relative size, for example 3 quarts? I have had the heating base go bad but the crock itself is just fine. Of course a new crock comes with the unit when you buy one. In the past, I have tried to find other uses for crocks that aren't damaged when the base goes bad ( I guess I use mine so much they wear out!). I have just been hesitant to put a different crock into a base for a fear that it wouldn't cook properly. Does anyone have experience with this?

Does anyone know if crocks can be used interchangeably between bases assuming the crock is the same relative size, for example 3 quarts? I have had the heating base go bad but the crock itself is just fine. Of course a new crock comes with the unit when you buy one. In the past, I have tried to find other uses for crocks that aren't damaged when the base goes bad ( I guess I use mine so much they wear out!). I have just been hesitant to put a different crock into a base for a fear that it wouldn't cook properly. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have had a base go bad too after many years of use. At the time, I bought the same crockpot and then had two inserts to use with one crockpot base. Unfortunately, I don't think they make the one I am using anymore. I would cook one day, place the leftovers in the crock insert in the fridge after cooled down. Then, the next day I had no worries about using the other insert to start on the next meal.

I don't see why they wouldn't be interchangeable as long as they fit pretty well into the base you are using. I have not tried to do this with two different brands of crocks, but you have me thinking now. :cool:

The two I had were different brands. The crocks were both oval in shape bu t the slope of the sides was somewhat different. That left me wondering if the one without its own original base would heat properly because the sides wouldn't necessarily come into contact with the heating portion of the base in the same way as the crock designed for that base. I guess I could just try it with something inexpensive like soup and see what happens.

The two I had were different brands. The crocks were both oval in shape bu t the slope of the sides was somewhat different. That left me wondering if the one without its own original base would heat properly because the sides wouldn't necessarily come into contact with the heating portion of the base in the same way as the crock designed for that base. I guess I could just try it with something inexpensive like soup and see what happens.

Teresa I have Potatoe Soup in my Large Crock Pot now. Going to be near 90 & 90+ next few days & Humidity in 60+ so Ill have extra tomorrow. I also will add ham pieces & carrots in tomorrow. Hubby's layed up so appetite is very low. he ask for this. Summer when picking tomatoes I will make tomato soup, sauce . Hope 4th was a safe one.

I'm in the market for a large crockpot with a timer. That way, if I'm not home it will stop cooking.

Hi Christine, I was just thinking that 2 days ago. Wish I had an automatic shut off as I put a Pot of Specialty Garden Stew in 1 of mine. Im always home so never entered my head. It is nice for Working or Busy Life Style. Did you have 1 or need 1 ? let us know. seniorcook

The automatic shut off feature is wonderful. Or at least if it shifts to "warm" so the food stays warm but doesn't continue to cook and possibly burn. I love the programmable ones. I've just had bad luck with them not lasting as long as the others.

Back