New Cable Channel

Slowcookmama

I was flipping channels this past week and stumbled upon the fyi channel. One show they had on was called Married at First Sight. Couples are paired together by experts base on compatibility. They meet for the first time at their wedding. They have to spend the next 30 days living together as man and wife. At the end of this social experiment they have to determine if they will remain married or will get a divorce. I could never do this but I find it really intriguing .

This show sounds pretty interesting although I couldn't do it either. I suppose its not much different than in the olden days when men had mail order brides or when families picked out the spouses for their children. Since the couples are screened for compatibility I think some of them have a real chance of staying together. Then again, there will be some that go purely on attraction rather than what makes a good spouse. It will be fun to find out which way it goes for the couples.

I think it may take longer than just 30 days to know if your compatible or not. I would not do it either, but then again, it depends on how much money they will pay me to do it.:D

That concept sounds like good television, but not necessarily a good life. Then again, as has been said, people have been making arranged marriages for centuries.

We don't watch a lot of television per se, but we watch alot of older series on Netflix. Right now, I'm currently catching up on my Doctor Who before the new doc starts in August.

I never really caught on to Dr. Who. But every Sunday I religiously watch Columbo. I even have the DVD's. I don't know why I still watch him. I've seen every episode like a billion times already.:D

I heard about the Married at First Sight show; haven't watched it yet but I think it'll be interesting. I hate that it perpetuates the idea that marriage is just a game, and if you don't like it you can opt out in one month. They should definitely have to stick it out longer. (Since marriage is supposed to be until death.) But I guess I'm just a little more old school and traditional when it comes to marriage. Even when arranged marriages were a more popular trend, divorce wasn't an option. It's getting to the point that marriage doesn't exactly mean the same thing it used to.

I agree with you amber summer, marriage is not a game. I wonder what happens if the wife gets pregnant during that time. I guess it would be like any other marriage and the ex-husband will have to pay child support.

I wonder why they made it that it had to be marriage, rather than just matching them up and setting them up on dates or even just living together? Would make more sense if they are giving the couples the option to quit after only one month.

I agree with you amber summer, marriage is not a game. I wonder what happens if the wife gets pregnant during that time. I guess it would be like any other marriage and the ex-husband will have to pay child support.
Hi Christine, I was thinking the same thing regarding whether they get a divorce and what the legal ramifications would be. I have a feeling that the show has this all worked out in advance so nobody gets stuck paying alimony for someone they only knew for a month. Child support on the other hand is a good question. I don't think anyone would do the show if there was a chance that they would be stuck paying alimony but if a child is born that puts a whole new spin on it.

I think that you are probably right about them working out of the legal ramifications, Geri. When I watch TV, I just want to be entertain and not insulted with some ridiculous realty show .

When I watch TV, I just want to be entertain and not insulted with some ridiculous realty show .

Too many reality shows these days! Probably why I learn more toward old shows available on Netflix or silly comedies like Big Bang Theory or Park & Rec. Just something entertaining to make me laugh, not make me feel bad about humanity.

I absolutely agree with you amber summer. What's so unfortunate is that many kids and adults try to emulate these stupid shows. One of my coworkers, who is over 40, tries to dress and act like the people from one of these reality shows. Now that's really sad.

Back