My dr. wants me to eat more sugar to expand my stomach

shady6345

In 2009 I had gastric bypass and sugar was my worse enemy I could not tell you the amount I needed in my coffee. I since got off coffee and since then the taste of sugar was not so demanding for me. I buy about two tow three 4 pound bags a month. in the past few months I did not need to buy sugar. I checked today and still have two bags.

I don't want to stretch my stomach and get big. I just need a way to get the desire to eat my viatamins. I grave grapes and apples. I have to force myself to eat something else and most times after 3 fork fulls I am done.

dining out now I don't order I just share off my man's plate. I can eat subway and enjoy it. no longer mc donalds,wendy,burger king, etc. I need vitamins and from the lack of protein I am going bald. if my image loads you will see the to of my head broken off. the length is just struggling as well. any advice will help.

Attachments

• 20140207_185433.jpg
    20140207_185433.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 14
You shouldnt be afraid of getting big. From your post I get the impression that its the root of your problem. You eat small and avoid food because you are afraid of packing on additional pounds. You should gradually try to increade your food intake (eat alot of veggies) and your stomach will expand in size. Dont be afraid!

That's so strange. I never even considered that after gastric surgery you might need to expand your stomach. You learn something new every day!

Now, I know that carbs are easily digested while fat, protein and fiber take longer for your body to break down so it makes sense that if you're primarily eating small portions of fat/protein/fiber like broccoli, cheese, bacon or chicken then you may experience everything from constipation to acid reflux to nausea and you'd certainly be hungry less often. And that's great if you're trying to lose weight but for someone who needs to regain their appetite that would certainly be a problem.

First, I would suggest ditching the refined white sugar and instead opting for more natural sweeteners like honey, real maple syrup and fruit sugars. A little maple syrup in my coffee or a spoon of honey in my tea is lovely. When I have migraines I can't stand to eat anything 'heavy' like meat or fibrous veggies. So I try to nibble on a banana or apple slices. Peaches and pears don't have a strong flavor and aren't heavy on calories or carbs so they also do the trick without ruining my diet. Could you handle a tablespoon of honey sweetened Greek yogurt in the mornings to you can take your vitamins? Or maybe a couple crackers or some plain toast? What about a fruit smoothie you could just sip at all day?

I'm probably just being a nervous Nelly but I agree with DomDom that you should make sure your eating habits are strictly an issue of being full and that you're not developing an eating disorder. I understand the desire to be thin and healthy, I'm in that boat myself, but I've also had an eating disorder and it's no better than being obese. So please, if you're having trouble eating because you're so afraid to gain weight again, talk to your doctor. You can be thin AND healthy, you don't have to choose one or the other.

I hope this has been helpful and that you feel better soon!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you follow the Docs orders. They DO get paid the big bucks for this information. If the problem is that you cannot eat the sugar that is being suggested is it possible you can drink it? Try blending things into a smoothie. Ask the Doc what they would suggest you blend.

Thats a great idea. I would also urge you to eat alot of vegetables. Vegetables are really basically free calories and you should use them to curb your hunger and add vitamins and minerals to your meals.

You may want to incorporate some grains into your diet. Quinoa is a great grain that has a TON of protein.
That way you can get the fiber you need, vital minerals and vitamins and protein.
It is very versatile so you can eat it at any meal - even breakfast.

Also, don't limit yourself to just 3 meals a day. Try having 5 or 6 small meals.

I have some awesome quinoa recipes if you are interested.

Also, caraway seeds, either brewed as a tea or eaten, act as an appetite stimulant. There are several herbs that are good for stimulating the appetite. You can brew them as a tea with a little raw organic honey.
  • Black Currant Chicory
  • Wood Sorrel
  • Yarrow
  • Barberry
  • Goldenseal
  • Hops
  • French Sorrel
These herbs do not work the same on all people so you may have to try a few in order to find what works best for you. Parsley and thyme are also considered appetite stimulants.

I am often a picky eater, but anything I put into a smoothie I love. I knew a woman who had gastric bypass, but had the issue where once she was at her goal weight, she couldn't stop losing weight because she was almost never hungry. She solved this by eating more small balanced snacks throughout the day. There are also many soups that are packed full of vegetables and calcium. I don't know if that helps, but let me know if you want any good small meal recipes!

This would seem like, for now, it's an issue of quality vs. quantity. You can't have a large intake, but what you eat needs to be enough to sustain you- based on your doctor's orders.

This may be an issue of blending things- fruit high in natural sugars, etc. in smoothies. If you are eating so little you are losing your hair, this is a much bigger problem than "getting big".

I agree. I think you should try smoothies. They are a great way to add in the things you need. I personally love smoothies and have tried all different types. You can even add in scoops of protein powders, vitamins, etc. as you see fit for your needs.

Back