Master Chef Views: Three Most Needed Spices for your Pantry

Barbara G.

Staff member
Master Chefs or just plain cooking enthusiasts never go on without their much needed spices in their hands. Apart from adding flavor and being used as preservative, spices and herbs make dishes aesthetically appealing and have nutritional and therapeutic merits. Here are the top three most needed culinary herbs and spices you need to stack in your kitchen that are easy to find, economical and flavorful.

Black Pepper - Probably the most popular spice in the world, black pepper builds the foundation flavor of any dish when partnered salt. Black pepper is high in iron, magnesium and calcium and the best thing of all is that it is not a seasonal spice, which means it is available throughout the year.

Garlic - Considered as one of the most aromatic spices in the world, garlic is widely accepted as medicinal herb in some countries. Garlic can help in managing cholesterol levels and blood pressure. It also has natural antibiotic properties, which help in fighting bacteria and other antibodies. Garlic is also a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6 and Calcium.

Ginger - A well-loved spice in Asian cooking, garlic leaves flavorful aroma with a mix of sweet and distinct hot taste in any dish. Younger ginger can be pickled and eaten as a snack or used as an ingredient in dishes. It can also be boiled to make ginger tea that is often mixed with honey or lemon. Ginger tea has a calming and soothing flavor, which helps relieve headache and sore throat due to common colds. Ginger is an excellent source of manganese, iron, niacin, magnesium and zinc.

Aside from flavoring foods, herbs and spices can be used to enhance other products. Using their aromatic properties, some spices can be used as ingredient in making soap, scented candles, bath oils and air fresheners. The list of known herbs and spices goes on worldwide and so as their versatile applications.

What are the three most needed spices in your pantry?

I always have pepper and Mrs. Dash available followed by salt. My next choice would be to have dried minced onion on hand in case I don't have fresh onions to use.

Back