3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
64 ounces beef, vegetable, or chicken broth
2 tbsp fresh thyme

Instructions
  1. Set your crockpot to high and add the onions, butter, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook for 60 minutes until onions begin to brown and caramelize, stirring occasionally.
  2. Stir in the flour and let cook for 5 more minutes.
  3. Add the broth and thyme. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
One cup equals seven and half carbs

thanks for sharing this!! french onion soup is one of my FAVORITES, but I've never tried to make it myself. It sounds pretty simple. I'll let you know when I try this :)

Yum! I love onions, especially when they are extremely tender like this. I must favorite this recipe and try it out.

I will have to try this. I think I will leave out the brown sugar to lower the carbs and see how it turns out.

I am growing three types of onions this year - thirty each of white, yellow, and purple. I plan to try this with the white onions, which are the sweetest. And Theresa, I don't think 2 tsp. of brown sugar will have much of an effect. I love balsamic vinegar and use it on salads all the time.

I am growing three types of onions this year - thirty each of white, yellow, and purple. I plan to try this with the white onions, which are the sweetest. And Theresa, I don't think 2 tsp. of brown sugar will have much of an effect. I love balsamic vinegar and use it on salads all the time.

You're right Susan. 2 tsp of brown sugar is not much in the way of carbs for most people but I am on a doctor-supervised low-carb diet and can only have between 20 and 30 net carbs per day. For others, 7.5 carbs for 1 cup of soup is probably fine but for me, it is an awful lot of my daily allotment. Since onions are high in natural sugars and a main ingredient in the recips, I couldn't cut those. The only other place I see a way to cut the carbs is in the Worcestershire sauce. Both the brown sugar and the Worsectershire sauce add nearly 1g of carbs per serving. Cutting those would reduce the carbs to less than 6 per serving.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am grateful for any recipes and suggestions. I just have to adapt many of them to suit my own dietary needs. Can't wait to try this recipe because I have always loved onion soup!

I understand where you are coming. Did not realize how many carbs were in the Worcestershire sauce. Sorry. Hope you get to try this soon. Let me know when you do.

Back