2 cup diced, leftover ham
Ham bone
1 16 oz. package navy beans, or other white beans
1 cup chopped yellow, sweet onions
1 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 tsp. pepper, or to taste

Soak beans overnight, or use the quick soak method on the package. Cover beans with water in soup pot. Add ham bone, onions, celery, garlic and seasonings. Simmer until beans are tender.

Cool the soup, and remove the ham bone. Dice any meat remaining on the ham bone. There should be at least 1 cup. Add this to the reserved 1 cup of leftover ham bits. Add the 2 cups diced ham to the soup, and adjust the seasonings.

Source: SparkPeople

I have never had good luck cooking beans in the slow cooker. They are hard after DAYS of cooking!

2 cup diced, leftover ham
Ham bone
1 16 oz. package navy beans, or other white beans
1 cup chopped yellow, sweet onions
1 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1 tsp. pepper, or to taste

Soak beans overnight, or use the quick soak method on the package. Cover beans with water in soup pot. Add ham bone, onions, celery, garlic and seasonings. Simmer until beans are tender.

Cool the soup, and remove the ham bone. Dice any meat remaining on the ham bone. There should be at least 1 cup. Add this to the reserved 1 cup of leftover ham bits. Add the 2 cups diced ham to the soup, and adjust the seasonings.

Source: SparkPeople

When I cooked mine in the crockpot, I actually soak the beans overnight in water. Then, I drain the water and rinse. Then, add them to the crockpot and cook all day long. They are really delicious and not hard then. Hope this tip helps you change your feelings about cooking beans in the crockpot.

I soak my bears overnight in a little bit of Baking Soda
rinse them in the morning
put in my crockpot with enough water to cover beans (add more water if needed as it cooks).
by supper they are almost mush
so if you don't like them mushy
don't put them into the slow cooker about 12:00
When I serve them with catsup, chopped onions and corn bread and butter
Enjoy as much as we do. charlye

Back