Key Health Benefits of Spinach

Barbara G.

Staff member
Popeye was probably right! The green stuff that we call “spinach” does hold a lot of health benefits. And there’s no reason why you shouldn’t give this leafy green vegetable a spot in your diet. Following are some of the key health benefits of Spinach:

1. Spinach contains Tyrosine is said to enhance intellectual capabilities. Research proves that foods that are rich in amino acid tyrosine, spinach and eggs for instance, give you faster reflexes.

2. Spinach extract contains thylakoids which reduce food cravings and assist in losing weight. Research finds that thylakoids reduces the drive to eat for pleasure and boosts weight loss chances by 43%.

3. The carotenoids found in Spinach are good for sight and provide protection against various eye diseases.

4. Spinach is a rich source of Vitamin K, calcium, and magnesium. All these nutrients strengthen our bones and keep them healthy.

5. The omega-3 fatty acids found in Spinach protects against heart diseases and reduces risk of cancer.

6. Spinach remains fresh even when it is exposed to lighting in the super stores. Research has confirmed that fluorescent lighting in grocery stores increases the nutritional value of fresh spinach.

7. Eating spinach along with other fruits and vegetables makes your skin healthy and glowing. Lutein is an antioxidant found in spinach which helps promote healthy skin.

8. Packed with antioxidants, Spinach and Kale are perfect immune-boosting foods. The antioxidants help produce more white blood cells and strengthen the immune system

9. Spinach leaves are low in sodium and contain powerful nutrients which not only lower but also maintain blood pressure.

I actually like to eat spinach. Many people I know don't really care for it. But, I think if you fix it the right way it is delicious.

I find it interesting that it helps blood pressure. Thanks for sharing!

Spinach tastes good with a little vinegar on it. Its kind of bland without anything on it. If you like vinegar you will love it on spinach.

I have a spinach salad with sugar free raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing almost everyday. However, I need to have a protein with it or I will be very gaseous.

Hmm.. I like spinach and will have to try the vinegar thing. How much do you put in for this?
Put in very little vinegar to start with in case you don't like it. Taking a guess, I would say put a half of a teaspoon for about a cup of cooked spinach. You can always add more.

I actually like to eat spinach. Many people I know don't really care for it. But, I think if you fix it the right way it is delicious.

I find it interesting that it helps blood pressure. Thanks for sharing!

I also did not know about spinich &choelestrol. Fabulous, TY ! and Barbi TY for such interesting things that are so needed. I love Spinch. seniorcook !

Back