Italian Roast Beef

Susan Mann

Years ago, my husband was preaching in Indiana. One member of the congregation, who had us over to dinner quite frequently, made this roast. We always call it “Eleanor Baughn’s Roast” after our Indiana friend. She gave me her recipe before we moved and I have made it ever since.

I love to cook this when I do not want to be in the kitchen on hot summer days. Although the roast is an expensive cut, you will have plenty for sandwiches, so it ends up making many economical meals. Slice the meat really thin – I use an electric knife for this task.

The original recipe called for a browning bag and oven cooking, but I began several years ago using my crock-pot instead. Saves on energy and keeps the kitchen from being so hot. My children all love this and it is frequently requested for birthdays and other special occasions.

Italian Roast Beef

Ingredients
3 to 4 pound eye of round roast
1 packet dry French onion soup mix
1 teaspoon each of basil and oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more if you wish)
½ cup water

Directions
Put all the ingredients in the crockpot in the order given. Cook on high or auto shift until completely cooked through, about three hours. Remove the roast from the liquid. Slice the roast as thin as you can. Strain the broth and return the broth and sliced meat to the crockpot. Simmer on low for at least thirty minutes.
Serve on rolls.

My family likes Italian style rolls, but you can use whatever your family prefers. If I am feeding a crowd, I usually use smaller rolls and let them have more than one. Make sure you spoon a bit of the broth on the bun.

Back