Is there anyone into canning?

Shellyann36

I have two canners and I enjoy canning veggies and jams and jellies. Nothing like smelling apple butter cook all day long in the crock pot and then can it up to store up for the winter. Does anyone else here on the board can their produce or meat? Lets share tips!

I want to can so bad! I just honestly have no idea where to begin. My great grandmother used to make some really delicious pear preserves; wish I would've taken some time to learn the process from her before she passed.

How would you recommend I start doing my own canning? I would definitely appreciate any tips or tricks of the trade!

I want to can so bad! I just honestly have no idea where to begin. My great grandmother used to make some really delicious pear preserves; wish I would've taken some time to learn the process from her before she passed.

How would you recommend I start doing my own canning? I would definitely appreciate any tips or tricks of the trade!

There are lots of good videos on YouTube. I would also recommend getting the Ball Book of Canning. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Boo...=1385164158&sr=8-3&keywords=ball+book+canning As you can see by the price it is reasonable if you buy it used. Get yourself a water bath canner and or a pressure canner. The water bath canner can be used for things such as strawberry preserves and a few other things. The pressure canner will have to be used for meats, certain veggies and sauces and such. I found my canners at yard sales. I got two pressure canners for $5.00 each. I took them to my local Agriculture extension and they tested them for me. I needed new seals and a new petcock for one. Really watch the YouTube videos because they have some great information and most of the people show the entire process. If you are lucky the agriculture extension office might even have classes during the spring and summer months.

Thank you the link to that book! I think I've seen it in our local farming supply store. I had no idea that there was an actual machine you needed for canning. I literally thought it was just the process of mixing fruit with gelatin and putting it in a mason jar haha. I can't wait to get into it seriously thought. Thanks!

The USDA maintains a whole section on canning. They also give suggestions as to if something can be Steam, pressure or water bath canned. For those just starting out, I highly suggest you look through their site and start there. As for me, I can meats all the time. Canned meat or "potted" meat isn't my favorite, but sometimes those sales prices are too good to pass up so I purchase all I can with those extraordinary sales and can them up in the pressure cooker. Saves to much money on the grocery bill that way.

I never would have thought to can meat, I'll definitely be looking into that. Thanks for the USDA information too!

OK, you guys have convinced me to start canning. I have been thinking about it. I know it would save a ton of money. You guys who can regularly, about how much do you figure you save or what percentage of your monthly or annual grocery bill do you save?
What kind of equipment would be needed to get started?

Same with you, I also love canning jams as I know some recipe in making jams. However, I don't know how to can veggies? I guess you put vinegar into it in order to be preserved? I'm sorry for the silly question, I don't know much recipes for canning, glad you started the thread. :)

Great thread! Canning is something I've always dreamed of accomplishing. I haven't done it yet but, these links will definitely help me get started. Thanks for posting.

Great thread! Canning is something I've always dreamed of accomplishing. I haven't done it yet but, these links will definitely help me get started. Thanks for posting.

You are right. Canning is always interesting, it may be because you are able to maintain and store your own food in the best possible way. If there are fellow lurkers who knows about the tactics of canning do share it with us. :)

Thanks for the reply, kungfujoe. :)

The USDA maintains a whole section on canning. They also give suggestions as to if something can be Steam, pressure or water bath canned. For those just starting out, I highly suggest you look through their site and start there. As for me, I can meats all the time. Canned meat or "potted" meat isn't my favorite, but sometimes those sales prices are too good to pass up so I purchase all I can with those extraordinary sales and can them up in the pressure cooker. Saves to much money on the grocery bill that way.

wow, thanks for the heads up. I will look into it. You are right about the fact that canning do help us save some money.

I wish to learn more about it, it has some potential for a future business. :)

I love to can and have canned every single year for years! I have done everything from jams, jelly's and fruit butters to various veggies and tomato products.

I use a cookbook that was made in the 1940's. They were canning then with no incidents of poisoning and illness. Now there are so many regulations that are just a royal pain. You can accomplish exactly the same thing by following "old time" methodology that has always been safe but unfortunately forgotten.

As far as all of my canning goes, I use the highly controversial inversion method...! I have been using this method for 20 years. Guess what ladies?? No one has ever been sick, nor will they ever as long as I do not become a lazy canner.

I do make sure that I can my goodies according to the pH in my foods. I add the acid according to instructions...and then I add a bit more.

This is a fulfilling hobby, saves money, it's far healthier than store bought and you get such a satisfaction from accomplishing this yourself. Plus...home canned items make wonderful gifts!

I would love to share tips, ideas and recipes.

This is one of my personal goals this year is to learn some basics of canning. I always remember my grandmother on the east coast having a basement full of things she canned. My mother really did not get into canning that I can remember, but am interested in learning more about it this year.

Back