How to Tell is Its Whole Grain or Not.

Geri K

I have been reading up on how to tell if bread and other items are really whole grain or if the package is misleading when it says whole grain. It seems kind of confusing as to what is actually a whole grain food and what really just contains some whole grain in it. I want to eat healthier but I am stuck on this one trying to figure out what whole grain really means. Any ideas?

Some products are carrying the whole grain stamp which is approved for whole grain products. Some are not though so it becomes confusing as to whether products actually are whole grain or not.

The following words will typically mean the product is whole grain:

whole grain
whole wheat
stoneground whole wheat
brown rice
oats
oatmeal
wheat berries
whole listed before other grain names

Hope this helps you!

Some products are carrying the whole grain stamp which is approved for whole grain products. Some are not though so it becomes confusing as to whether products actually are whole grain or not.

The following words will typically mean the product is whole grain:

whole grain
whole wheat
stoneground whole wheat
brown rice
oats
oatmeal
wheat berries
whole listed before other grain names

Hope this helps you!
Do you know if whole grain flour counts as whole grain or not? I am thinking that its too refined to be able to call it whole grain although some bread is advertised as whole grain but contains the whole grain flour? I believe that the packaging is misleading on many products.

According to the Whole Grains Council, in the United States whole grain wheat flour is always a whole grain. If you are in Canada, it is not always whole grain.

Thanks for the information Barbara. Now I know that I am eating the right kind of bread and interesting how it differs in Canada. I will be looking for the whole grain stamp from now on.

You are welcome! I did not realize the difference either until I did a little research. It is interesting, but each location does have different guidelines and legalities they follow.

Back