How Soon Do You Start Preparing For Winter Season

christine

I usually start in the summer by filling up the oil tank and getting the furnace maintained. Nowadays, Macy's and other stores are always have a sale. So I just wait for a sale to buy coats, jackets and thermals.

This is a great discussion question! I do check the filters and start planning extensive cleaning which will commence right before the holidays.

It is also a great time to check smoke alarms in the home. I also like the cooler weather and plan projects in the garage (unpacking, decluttering, ect.).

I start in late summer, right around the time the kids go back to school. You can usually get clothes on sale. We also have a wood burner in our living room that helps defray the cost of the heat. We make sure all the firewood is stocked up and we gather rubbermaid bins and fill them with kindling. So much easier to do now than when the ground is covered with ice and snow or it's freezing outside. We also check our lanterns, stock up on batteries, bottled water and toilet paper. An ice storm left us without power for 5 days once. We won't be caught unprepared again.

I agree with you TheresaL about being prepared. a couple of years ago we were without power for over 2 weeks after a major storm. Fortunately, my mother lives not to far and she had power.

I usually start in the summer by filling up the oil tank and getting the furnace maintained. Nowadays, Macy's and other stores are always have a sale. So I just wait for a sale to buy coats, jackets and thermals.
I am pretty much like everyone else in changing furnace filters and checking the furnace and fireplace. I used to do a lot of canning to prepare for winter mainly because preserved food tastes so nice and fresh in winter. I have noticed that some people will put up their Christmas lights while its still warm out so they do not have to do it in the cold weather.

Back