Homemade Stuffing for Turkey or Boxed?

Geri K

I have become lazy and just use Stovetop stuffing for the Thanksgiving Turkey now. It used to be that making stuffing from scratch was a part of the tradition of Thanksgiving 0r Christmas. Its so much easier and cheaper to use Stovetop but it does lack the homemade goodness. What does everyone else do? Homemade or Stovetop?

Personally, I don't like stuffing at all so I don't make it. But if I did, I would probably combine the stovetop stuffing with homemade.

Since I am a single parent with three growing children who has very little time in general. We use stovetop stuffing, but I saute some onions and celery and add it which gives it a nice touch.

I have used the Stove Top Stuffing mix as my base and then just add the other ingredients like chopped celery and onion. I don't have to add too many spices either but I like the taste and texture of having the veggies in the stuffing too.

Even though I don't eat stuffing, I made it for Christmas. (Request from my mom) I did the same thing as Barbara, I sauted some onions and celery and add it with some dried cranberries which gave it a nice touch.

It is also flavorful and quick to make which I like! :D

I have become lazy and just use Stovetop stuffing for the Thanksgiving Turkey now. It used to be that making stuffing from scratch was a part of the tradition of Thanksgiving 0r Christmas. Its so much easier and cheaper to use Stovetop but it does lack the homemade goodness. What does everyone else do? Homemade or Stovetop?
I add walnuts, mushrooms or sometimes pork sausage to the Stove Top stuffing to give it a boost. Does anybody use a type of rice for stuffing?

Maybe next time I will add walnuts and pork sausage. I know the mushrooms will not go over well. Thanks for the tip Geri.

I add walnuts, mushrooms or sometimes pork sausage to the Stove Top stuffing to give it a boost. Does anybody use a type of rice for stuffing?

Hi Geri,

Are you wondering about adding rice to the Stove Top, or using rice as a stuffing type base? I have not really done this before, but it does sound interesting.

Hi Geri,

Are you wondering about adding rice to the Stove Top, or using rice as a stuffing type base? I have not really done this before, but it does sound interesting.
I was wondering if anybody ever used just rice for stuffing as a base. I have never stuffed a bird that way myself but some people do it. I will find a recipe for it and post it under recipes on here. Let me know if it sounds good to you.

Hi Geri, rice and stuffing seems like a lot of carbs. But sound delicious, let me know how turns out .

Back