Hearty Oatmeal

Slowcookmama

I really don not use my slow cooker for breakfast, never thought about it much until now.

Ingredients:
  • 2 C. milk
  • 1/4 C. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs. melted butter
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 C. rolled oats
  • 1 C. chopped apple
  • 1/2 C. raisins
  • 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
Directions:
Grease the inside of a slow cooker crockpot. Put ingredients into crockpot and mix with whisk. Cover. Just before going to bed, turn on the crockpot, at "low" speed. The cereal will be ready for morning. Serve with milk

I've done this before- but with a larger batch. I then greased muffin tins, filled them with the cooked oatmeal, and flash froze them. Once flash frozen you can put them in a ziploc bag, and pull one or two out for mornings when you don't have time to cook. Just put one in a bowl, add a little butter, cover, and microwave for about a min and a half, stirring when done.

Last edited:
Awesome idea, Sarah. I'm heading to the kitchen to put on some oatmeal for tomorrow morning. I do not have an apple to chop, so I am going to add some pear butter I made last year and use cranberries instead of raisins and almonds instead of walnuts. I will let you know how it turns out.

I was looking at other oatmeal recipes and I think I am going to try this (on a cool night) and flash freeze as per Sarah's instructions. Thanks Sarah

source of recipe from www.chocolate-broccoli.com

Overnight Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal

Yield: 4 Servings

Serving Size: 1 cup prepared oatmeal, 1 tablespoon dried fruit,

Adapted from Our Best Bites

Ingredients

• Non-stick cooking spray
  • 2 large tart apples (such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady), chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups skim milk
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup whole grain oats
  • 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon (more or less to your taste)
  • 2 tablespoons milled/ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    Additional Toppings
  • 1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries)
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans)
Instructions

Spray a 3 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Combine chopped apples, milk, water, oats, sugar, butter, and flax- stirring to combine. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours (overnight). Stir in 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt into the oatmeal just before serving.

If desired, serve with additional toppings (1 tablespoon dried fruit and 1 tablespoon chopped nuts, each)

Nutritional Information:

Calories: 321; Fat: 13 g; Carbohydrate: 46 g; Fiber: 6 g; Protein: 7 g

What type or brand of oatmeal do you use. I just bought organic Irish oats. It was highly suggested by my nutritionist. He also wants me to cut out one very sweet ingredient.

I like Sarah's idea of flash freezing it and this recipe sounds delish. It is definitely going on the must make list. These would be especially good for in the morning when I have to run out with the kids. Just take them out of the freezer, heat up, enjoy, and off we go.

I'm not sure how this oatmeal recipe is going to taste w/o sugar. I recently had mint ice tea with cinnamon and no sugar and you know what, it was very good. Maybe the cinnamon will pick up the taste in the oatmeal?;)

I checked around and saw that I could replace the brown sugar with dates or figs? I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to replace brown sugar in my oatmeal. I really don't want to make a good batch and then have to throw it away because of lack of taste.

I like to add raisins to mine which gives it sweetness without added white sugar. Although, you still get natural sugars from the raisins.

Back