Growing and recipe for okra

Geri K

Does anyone grow okra? We do, but I don't care to eat it. In fact, I do not even like to cook it. Its something about the stickiness of it that I cant stand. My boyfriend loves it so I make it for him. I cut it up and bread it and pan fry it in oil or just put it whole on the grill. Does anybody have a different okra recipe I can try?

We grow it every year. We are not sure we are going to have much of a crop this year as we are having trouble with the birds, rabbits, and squirrels getting the okra plants. :cool:

We usually coat it with some cornmeal and spices to fry. I also like to add it to gumbo soup. I don't have a specific recipe for the soup, but I can find one if you like. Okra can also be sliced and frozen for later use in soups. It is much better than the store bought okra in the package.

I'm with you Geri, I can't stand okra. The slimy stuff is such a turn off. Plus my mother would cook it when I was young and I guess that's what started my aversion.

I love to bread and fry okra. It's one of my favorite side dishes. Unfortunately, no other recipes for it.

I'm with you Geri, I can't stand okra. The slimy stuff is such a turn off. Plus my mother would cook it when I was young and I guess that's what started my aversion.
Christine, I am so glad to hear there is someone else who cant stand okra. Everybody I have ever asked about it loves it. LOL I always thought it was just a southern thing but that proves to not be true. Supposedly if you freeze the okra first and then add it to a dish right away you wont get the slime but I'll pass anyway.

I'm with you Geri. I don't care what you do to okra, I'm just not eating it. I also assumed it was a southern food.

To reduce the stickiness of okra boil it with a teaspoon of lemon juice. I tried this and it seemed to work because you did not feel that stickiness as much when eating it...so I was told. I still am not going to eat any !!! :rolleyes:

Back