Does Anyone Hunt Fall Mushrooms? Hen of the Woods

Geri K

We have found a lot of hen of the woods (also known s querrines) mushrooms this year. approximately 60 pounds. Some were canned and some were frozen to have throughout the year. Does anybody else pick these or are they not available in your area?
upload_2014-10-21_11-45-16.jpeg

Hmm...I did some research and it appears they are available in Oklahoma. So, I learned something new today. I am allergic to mushrooms, so typically don't use them in recipes. Although, in the past I have enjoyed some beefy mushroom gravy on a few things. I am not deathly allergic to them, but they do make me have a slight reaction.

Thanks for posting a photo of those you found! It looks very interesting!

Geri K. I have never seen mushrooms like that in our area. Wish I did. Thanks for sharing as I find it interesting and will keep my eyes open more for them now.

Hmm...I did some research and it appears they are available in Oklahoma. So, I learned something new today. I am allergic to mushrooms, so typically don't use them in recipes. Although, in the past I have enjoyed some beefy mushroom gravy on a few things. I am not deathly allergic to them, but they do make me have a slight reaction.

Thanks for posting a photo of those you found! It looks very interesting!
Barbara, sorry to hear you are allergic to mushrooms and I suppose not eating them is the best thing to do if there is any risk at all to you. Its strange but the morel mushroom that come out in the Spring can make us very sick if we drink beer during or after eating them. Several of my friends found that out the hard way and had symptoms like they had food poisoning.

Geri K. I have never seen mushrooms like that in our area. Wish I did. Thanks for sharing as I find it interesting and will keep my eyes open more for them now.
Where do you live Standingdoe? I am not sure if they are available throughout the whole country or not. You can find them under dead oak trees in the fall and some can be quite large.

I haven't seen hen of the woods (also known s querrines) mushrooms in my neck of the woods, (NY). I will do some research to find out if it grows here.

I haven't seen hen of the woods (also known s querrines) mushrooms in my neck of the woods, (NY). I will do some research to find out if it grows here.
Is this within the area where you live? Where to find Hen of the Woods: In the Northeast frondosus has a rather lengthy season, from late August in coastal Maine through mid-November in the Hudson Valley of New York, but throughout its range I have found the third week of September to be the best time to look. leslieland.com/2008/09/the-mushrooms-of-autumn-hen-of-the-woods/

Back