Does anyone have or thinking about raising chickens?

Geri K

We got into raising chickens two years ago and was not sure of this was going to be something that we really wanted to do. It didn't take long to find out that we loved it more than we thought we would. It can be a lot of work but its worth it, especially for the wonderful eggs we get. Anybody else have chickens? We have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rock, ISA Browns, Easter Eggers, Black French Copper Marans and Astrolorphs.

We don't raise chickens. I see other people who do around our area.
Its very popular all over the country to raise chickens. We did not even realize this but there is a whole culture related to chicken keeping. I see them everywhere out in the country and in town as well. Unfortunately, many predators like them as much as people do.

I raised chickens for about 8 years. It was wonderful getting the fresh eggs. We allowed our flock to free range. They were a wonderful help with insects and we noticed a significant decrease in ticks around our very rural home. However, they poop everywhere and I do mean everywhere. Porches, cars, lawn furniture - nothing was safe. And they eat your garden -vegetables and flowers. They scratch lookig for food and tear things up. If you keep them penned, you have the added labor of keeping the pen clean and that is no easy task either. I would think long and hard before getting into this. It's a serious commitment.

I totally agree with you Theresa. Keeping chickens is big commitment and lot of work. Anyone thinking about raising them should weigh the pros and cons before deciding to do so and not make a hasty decision,

I wanted to raise chickens but I think it might be some type of village code violation.
It very well could be Christine, a lot of towns wont allow it at all. Some will let you have chickens but no roosters to keep down on the noise. Your city clerks office should be able to tell you one way or the other.

Back