Do You Buy Organic Foods

christine

I have been buying more and more organic foods and I have to admit. The food taste a lot better. If the meats aren't organic I will make sure that there are no GMO's.

I have been buying more and more organic foods and I have to admit. The food taste a lot better. If the meats aren't organic I will make sure that there are no GMO's.
I dont buy organic food mostly because it always costs a lot more. I would like to hear more on the topic though because I have heard pros and cons. I heard is that its not any better for you if you buy it in a grocery store because its still treated with chemicals anyway. I am speaking about fruits and vegetables here, dont know much about organic meat.

I have bought some organic foods in the past, but like Geri mentioned it seems the prices are sky rocketing in this area. All food prices are becoming outrageously priced, though.

This is a great topic and one that I have been wondering about for a long time. My biggest question, is there a difference in the quality of organic food whether you buy it at a supermarket or if you buy it from an organic store. In other words, do supermarkets label stuff as organic that is not truly organic and free of pesticides and other chemicals just to sell it. How can the consumer ever know for sure?

I don't buy organic usually. I know of a lady who swore by organic and I don't know if she went overboard with it. Her skin was yellow orange which really concerned me.

Sound like she has been eating a lot of carrots. I never hear of organic foods turning your skin orange.

I have been reading a lot about processed foods, chemicals, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc and their effect on our bodies and health. A lot of illnesses that are trending now can be traced back to the inclusion of these things in our diet. Diabetes, autism and arthritis are just a few. Organic is always going to be better for you, in my opinion.

Regarding the supermarkets and the sale of organic foods...check labels carefully. For it to be labelled with the USDA Organic certification seal, it has to pass the same standards as organic foods sold in organic food stores or anywhere else. An informed consumer can make educated purchases that are right for them.

Even cutting back on processed foods a lit can help. Not sure? Try identifying one thing you'd like to change and work on that. If you feel an improvement in your health and well-being after 30 days, it is probably worth the expense.

That is a great way to introduce organic foods to skeptics TheresaL. Even with just a piece of organic fruit will help make a healthy decision.

I have been reading a lot about processed foods, chemicals, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc and their effect on our bodies and health. A lot of illnesses that are trending now can be traced back to the inclusion of these things in our diet. Diabetes, autism and arthritis are just a few. Organic is always going to be better for you, in my opinion.

Regarding the supermarkets and the sale of organic foods...check labels carefully. For it to be labelled with the USDA Organic certification seal, it has to pass the same standards as organic foods sold in organic food stores or anywhere else. An informed consumer can make educated purchases that are right for them.

Even cutting back on processed foods a lit can help. Not sure? Try identifying one thing you'd like to change and work on that. If you feel an improvement in your health and well-being after 30 days, it is probably worth the expense.
Thanks Theresa, I am more clear on this now. I will be looking for the USDA Organic certification seal at the grocery store from now on. It will be interesting to see what the stores are really selling and what is and is not supposed to be labeled as organic.

It can be challenging to eat a healthy diet these days. Convenience foods and processed foods are loaded with chemicals and preservatives we can barely pronounce. Even fresh produce can be laden with chemicals, pesticides and herbicides, making them relatively unsafe to eat.

Because organic foods can be so expensive, I often grow my own or buy from local farm stands. I always talk to the grower to find out what practices he uses. There are also a couple of Amish Mennonite stores in the area. They use more natural methods for raising their crops and animals. I get my meat from them becaue they don't use antibotics and hormones on their cattle. Their meat prices are often lower than the grocery store. Although they are not certified organic. It's about as close as you can get. You just need to be willing to shop around and ask questions.

yes, ThereasL I agree with that organic foods can be expensive. However, I found that when I don't buy processed foods it helps with the cost of buying organic. Additionally, I am trying to wean myself away from eating meats like turkey, pork, and eventually chicken (I don't buy or eat beef already). So not buying meats makes a big difference in my shopping budget.

After being a bit skeptical about the whole organic vegetable thing I bought a can of organic diced tomatoes and I have to admit they were better than the other canned tomatoes I usually buy. Actually, they were the same price as ordinary canned tomatoes which surprised me. The can even had the USDA Organic certification seal which I learned of through Barbara and Theresa. :)

That's so wonderful to hear Geri. I'm glad to see you have an open mind about organic foods. Some people wouldn't try at all.

You make a good point Christine. When you strip all the processed foods out of your grocery budget, there is more room for the organic and whole foods.

Back