Do any of you belong to a local gym?

Barbara G.

Staff member
In the past, I have used a local gym to get out of the house to go and exercise. Recently, our local gym has closed up; we live in a smaller city.

Do any of you belong to the local gym, or do you do your own thing at home when it comes to working out?

In the past, I have used a local gym to get out of the house to go and exercise. Recently, our local gym has closed up; we live in a smaller city.

Do any of you belong to the local gym, or do you do your own thing at home when it comes to working out?
I belong to the YMCA. I find it better to actually go to a gym than to do it at home. You feel more energized and like working out when you see other people working out. Sorry to hear your local gym closed up.

I recently had a trial membership to a local gym. However, once the trial was over the trainer/salesman tried to hard sell me a membership. I really don't like to be sold. All I really wanted was maybe take a few classes and swim in the pool. Not to long ago, a friend of mine gave me her guest pass for a week. However, the gym refuse to honor the pass because I had been there before on a trial membership. Well, that was it for me to even consider a membership (L.A. Fitness). I did sign up for a membership at our local university to use their pool. It's great during the summer months because it is a private pool. While everyone is crowded at the beach or public pool, I go to the university where I have a lane to myself to swim in peace.

I have to make the effort to go to the gym, because I can make too many excuses for myself while at home and don't focus on working out. (Example: "I'll do push-ups during the commercial break to a show" and end up doing about 30 seconds of work.)

I did a trial at the local gym, but the membership fees were outrageous. Like christine mentioned above, I found out that a university in town has reasonable fees for using their facility. I've signed up at the university (without being a student or affiliated with the school, just general open to the public) and it's really reasonably priced for access to a gym and pool. It's been nearly empty all summer, but the facilities are in greater shape than the local gym.

We have a gym a couple of blocks away that I love. Membership is only $14 a month, and it's open (and staffed!) 24 hours a day. I can get up at 4 in the morning and get my workout in before everyone rises, or go late at night when I can't sleep.

Back