Thanks for checking out CrockPotTalk - Crockpot & Slow Cooker Forum!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options. If you take a few seconds and Sign up you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other CrockPotTalk - Crockpot & Slow Cooker Forum members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • To many membership perks to list! Join today for free!

Do any of you belong to a local gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Barbara G., Jun 10, 2014.

1. Barbara G.

Barbara G. Moderator Staff Member Member

In the past, I have used a local gym to get out of the house to go and exercise. Recently, our local gym has closed up; we live in a smaller city.

Do any of you belong to the local gym, or do you do your own thing at home when it comes to working out?

2. Avatar

Sponsor Site Advertisement

3. Geri K

Geri K Active Member Member

I belong to the YMCA. I find it better to actually go to a gym than to do it at home. You feel more energized and like working out when you see other people working out. Sorry to hear your local gym closed up.

4. christine

christine Active Member Member

I recently had a trial membership to a local gym. However, once the trial was over the trainer/salesman tried to hard sell me a membership. I really don't like to be sold. All I really wanted was maybe take a few classes and swim in the pool. Not to long ago, a friend of mine gave me her guest pass for a week. However, the gym refuse to honor the pass because I had been there before on a trial membership. Well, that was it for me to even consider a membership (L.A. Fitness). I did sign up for a membership at our local university to use their pool. It's great during the summer months because it is a private pool. While everyone is crowded at the beach or public pool, I go to the university where I have a lane to myself to swim in peace.

5. ambersummer

ambersummer Member Member

I have to make the effort to go to the gym, because I can make too many excuses for myself while at home and don't focus on working out. (Example: "I'll do push-ups during the commercial break to a show" and end up doing about 30 seconds of work.)

I did a trial at the local gym, but the membership fees were outrageous. Like christine mentioned above, I found out that a university in town has reasonable fees for using their facility. I've signed up at the university (without being a student or affiliated with the school, just general open to the public) and it's really reasonably priced for access to a gym and pool. It's been nearly empty all summer, but the facilities are in greater shape than the local gym.

6. Sarah Johnson

Sarah Johnson Active Member Member

We have a gym a couple of blocks away that I love. Membership is only $14 a month, and it's open (and staffed!) 24 hours a day. I can get up at 4 in the morning and get my workout in before everyone rises, or go late at night when I can't sleep.