datil peppers

thomas pendrake

I am new to the crock pot forum. My son grows datil peppers, I grow tobasco. Datil peppers run over 300,000 scoville units, but have an intense fruity flavor. Later today I will post a Minorcan clam chowder recipe, be on the lookout for this. the avatar photo is a datil pepper. Or I guess I should say "In a week or so."

Last edited:
Cool! I wondered what type of pepper was on your avatar. I like heat in peppers, but also like some fruity flavor. Do you plant your peppers in pots or in an actual garden?

Cool! I wondered what type of pepper was on your avatar. I like heat in peppers, but also like some fruity flavor. Do you plant your peppers in pots or in an actual garden?
We use clay pots, but plastic will do. They can be grown outdoors in Central Florida, especailly near St. Augustine. Expect them to produce after the second year. They can be treated as a Habenero pepper plant.

Awesome! Do you plant any other kind of peppers? Do you use them in cooking, or just grow them as an ornamental pepper?

I have grown some pepper plants in the past of various kinds and used some of the pepper in cooking meals. I can't have a garden where I am, so everything is grown in pots or containers. I am somewhat limited, but love the fact that I can still grow something! ;)

I also grow Tabasco. The Datil plants are actually my older son's. We use both of them cooking. We also have had Thai Hot . Datil peppers will grow in 2 to 5 gallon pots well and be less that 3 feet tall if encouraged to bush. Tabasco will want to be taller. Try Minorcan clam chowder, or a lime/honey(Orange blossom best)/Datil glaze on fsh or chicken. Datil is very hot, you may want to avoild seed and pith. by the second year, one datil plant will probably fill your needs.

Sounds like something I need to try - I am always up for trying new things. I will have to see if the Datil peppers are available here in NE Oklahoma. Thanks for letting me know!

Back