Crockpot Tips

Geri K

Go for the Fatty Cuts of Meat
Lean meat cooked for a long time—no matter what the temperature—gets tough and stringy. Big hunks of fatty meat like short ribs, shanks (beef, pork, or lamb), and shoulder (pork or lamb) work best in a crockpot. The fat will keep the meat moist, and the slow cooking breaks down the connective tissue that makes those types of cuts tough when cooked quickly. So with a slow cooker, fatty meat = good.

Low Notes and Sweet Flavors Add Balance
A low note is a flavor that adds a depth and richness to a dish—like bacon, browned onions, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce—and they’re integral to any good crockpot recipe. So are inherently sweet ingredients like brown sugar and tomato paste. Because most flavors break down and become one bigger, better superflavor (not a technical term) over time, these sweet and low notes balance it all out.

Proceed with Caution when Cooking Pasta Macaroni and cheese? Lasagna?
Sure, there are slow-cooker recipes for them out there, but you definitely shouldn’t attempt to make them. More often than not, pasta (and other things that should hold their shape) becomes a mushy mess. Just don’t do it.
bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/6-ways-to-screw-up-crock-pot-recipes

On pasta, I think it is okay to cook in the crockpot. Although, I have learned these dishes are not ones you want to "not tend to." They must be watched carefully while cooking. I personally would not do a pasta crock pot dish while away from home. These types of recipes should be planned when you are home doing other things.

Barbara, I also thought it would be ok to cook pasta in the crockpot and I agree that it would have to be watched carefully. There are so many pasta recipes for the crockpot they cant all be wrong. I am not sure that I agree with tip number one either that says you should use only fatty meat. Lean meat works as well if you don't let it get dried out.

Thanks Geri, I really appreciate the tips about the Low Notes and Sweet Flavors Add Balance.

Barbara, I also thought it would be ok to cook pasta in the crockpot and I agree that it would have to be watched carefully. There are so many pasta recipes for the crockpot they cant all be wrong. I am not sure that I agree with tip number one either that says you should use only fatty meat. Lean meat works as well if you don't let it get dried out.

Sometimes, it is helpful to brine the leaner cuts, too. It all depends on the cut of meat used and how it is prepared followed by the cooking process.

Back