Crockpot Body Lotion

Geri K

Make your own body lotion: Why pay for a bunch of nasty-sounding chemicals, when what you’re really trying to get is soft, supple skin? It’s so easy to make your own body moisturizer by melting 8 oz. cocoa butter in 2 oz. of distilled water in your slow cooker on low, then stirring in 1 oz. of beeswax, 4 oz. of sweet almond oil, and 2 oz. of coconut oil. Store in clean, lidded containers and store in a dark place. By the way, this makes a great gift, too!
housewifehowtos.com/cook/5-unusual-uses-for-a-slow-cooker/

Using the crockpot is a great idea.I usually make body lotions by heating the butters and just mixing oils and everything together.

Great idea! I wonder how long the lotions stay good?
That's a good question Barbara. I found this to help keep the homemade lotions last longer.
Antioxidants:
Antioxidants are natural preservatives that reduces the rate of oxidation (which is what makes oils go rancid). You can add antioxidants directly to your oils to help keep them fresh, or you can add the antioxidant to the oil phase of your recipe. Antioxidants are perfect for formulas that contain fragile oils like avocado, sweet almond, or evening primrose. Lip balms, lotion bars, creams, lotions, scrubs and any other product containing oils can benefit from the addition of an antioxidant.
When to use and what to consider:
  • Vitamin E contains gamma tocopherols. This is a natural antioxidant. T-50 Vitamin E Oil contain larger amounts than regular Vitamin E oils.
  • Rosemary Oil Extract is another natural antioxidant. It should be used at a ratio rate of .15 to .5 % of the overall formula.
thankyourbody.com/are-your-homemade-beauty-products-safe/

Back