Crock Pot Desserts?

BlessedBlogger

Is it possible to make something like cake, pudding or crumbles (like an apple crumble) in a crock pot? I'd love to make a big batch of something and portion it out for the week instead of standing over the stove but I'm guessing pudding would develop a skin on top and crumbles wouldn't get crispy on top while cake would likely burn on the bottom. Have you tried to make slow cooker desserts and if so, how did they turn out?

YES! All of the above actually:

http://www.flouronmyface.com/2013/10/25-easy-crock-pot-dessert-recipes.html

Great examples of each of those things here with the added benefit of being 'easy'. Although, I have a hard time finding things that are difficult to make in a slow cooker. Personally, I have made brownies, cakes, many cobblers. They came out fantastic. There's usually a period in the cooking where you have to make sure to remove the lid and get a crisp on top but otherwise no muss no fuss recipes.

Awesome, thank you! How do you get the top crunchy? Just taking off the lid or do you move the inner part of the pot to the oven?

I personally take off the lid and this cooks it a bit and makes the top nice and crunchy. I also do this sometimes with meat as well!

Yep, Doms on point. Removing the lid stops the steaming process that keeps the thing you're cooking uber moist. It helps to aerate and crisp the top while leaving the rest moist. It helps to have a period of wait time before serving. Usually 30 min.

Back