Corned beef made in the slow cooker

MindyT

I have made a Reuben sandwich in the crockpot.
I used corned beef, chicken breast, sauerkraut (well drained), and thousand island. I just stuck it in crockpot before church. When I came home, we toasted bread and made an open-faced sandwich. It was very easy. Just make sure the sauerkraut is well drained and completely dry. If not it gets too watery.

I have never thought about this. Neat idea. I can see how the sauerkraut would have to be really dry in order not to get it too watery. Now do you have a recipe for corned beef to share? I have never had corned beef before (shock and horror). Would love a recipe though.

I have never thought about this. Neat idea. I can see how the sauerkraut would have to be really dry in order not to get it too watery. Now do you have a recipe for corned beef to share? I have never had corned beef before (shock and horror). Would love a recipe though.
I do not have a recipe for corned beef, unfortunately. I just pick some up at the deli counter. If someone has a recipe, I would love to hear it. So, you have never had a Reuben sandwich? They are so yummy!

I make corned beef in the crock pot all the time! So easy! You just buy a hunk of corned beef, put in some water, the seasoning packet that comes with it, and one ay leaf. Delicious!!
You can also add in cabbage and potatoes if you want to. It's one of our favorite meals!

I make corned beef in the crock pot all the time! So easy! You just buy a hunk of corned beef, put in some water, the seasoning packet that comes with it, and one ay leaf. Delicious!!
You can also add in cabbage and potatoes if you want to. It's one of our favorite meals!
Did you mean one bay leaf? I am not sure what an ay leaf is. I am assuming it was a typo and supposed to read bay leaf. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the tips.

Oh man! Yes, one BAY leaf. Sorry about that. My husband insists on the bay leaf. He says it's much better with it.

I do not have a recipe for corned beef, unfortunately. I just pick some up at the deli counter. If someone has a recipe, I would love to hear it. So, you have never had a Reuben sandwich? They are so yummy!

Nope I have never had a Rueben before. Shock and horror. I will have to get some corned beef at the deli and try this.

I don't get any seasoning with corned beef, but it is definitely one of my favourite crockpot meals. Easy as!

1. Boil your beef. This gets rid of any gunk - the juices which otherwise cogulate and mess up your stock. Not too long, just a couple of minutes, pull out your beef and clean it.

2. Pop it into the crockpot with:
a. Beef stock
b. An onion, peeled, with six cloves stuck into it.
c. Couple of cloves of garlic, not necessarily peeled, but definitely crushed. I just use the flat of my knife.
d. Potato and carrot, chunked up a little.
e. A bay leaf or two.
f. Some brown vinegar.
g. A little sugar.

3. Let it cook for six hours or more. I have mine on "Autoshift", which turns on more heat if the temperature falls.

4. Use some stock to make sauce, maybe a little to season any carbs you have with the meat.

5. Pull out and slice. Good with heavy veges and cabbage.

I may not be much of a cook, but the family loves this one!

--Pete

Back