Coffee Grounds: How And Why We Use Them In Our Garden

Barbara G.

Staff member
I have heard of people adding coffee grounds to the soil. I now understand more about why it can be helpful to plants and gardens. Have you added coffee grounds to your garden??

This was an informative clip. My father used to add coffee grounds to the garden and I knew it was good for the soil but never knew why until now. I will be saving mine and adding them from now on.

I have been living in an apartment for a while, so I have not been able to compost. I am about to move into a house with a nice big yard, and I'm so excited to start composting again. Though I would like to have a compost bin, I hear that ground composting is better and faster. This is because you have your compost on the ground where bugs can make it home and decompose the plant material. All you need to do is make sure you do not add meat or bones, and turn it about once a week. You can also cover it with a tarp to keep fruit flies away, and add warmth that will make the foods break down faster.

Thanks for sharing the video! Someone told me to add coffee grounds to my soil when planting veggies, but they couldn't explain why. They said they just heard it somewhere. I didn't think much about it because it sounded so weird to me. Good to see the video with more information!

My grandfather used coffee grounds and eggshells for his garden, along with his large compost pile. Glad to finally understand the reasoning. Thanks for sharing! :)

Someone posted on this site earlier this month about using coffee grounds on eggplants. I did so and they are really doing much better. I also use Epson Salt on my tomato plants. I honestly cannot remember "why" - I've been doing so for years.

My grandfather used coffee grounds and eggshells for his garden, along with his large compost pile. Glad to finally understand the reasoning. Thanks for sharing! :)

I've heard that eggshells can help for certain types of plants. Do you happen to have more info on this? or what plants you put eggshells in?

Did some of my favorite internet researching. Egg shells provide calcium and help prevent blossom end rot on tomatoes. They are also good for squash. crush them first to speed decomposition. Additionally, eggshells can be put in a compost pile to add additional calcium.

My grandfather grew both squash and tomatoes, so that makes sense that he would use them. I was young when he stopped gardening full time, and unfortunately I can't remember all the "whys" that I wish I did.

That's okay, we have the internet for that, now. :)

I have heard of people adding coffee grounds to the soil. I now understand more about why it can be helpful to plants and gardens. Have you added coffee grounds to your garden??

I do that and at 1 Cafe I go to Ill get a lg Bag full. Of course waitress gets a nic e tip. Really good And egg shells around Roses and other plants do great.

Thanks Susan M J! I found a lot of great information. And a couple of cute things for anyone who might want to do some garden activities with kids. This page had two activities, using eggs as starter planters for herbs and growing grass out of an egg shell like a chia pet, that I thought might be fun for children so I wanted to share!

Back