Caramel Flan

Slowcookmama

Ingredients
  • 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 14 ounces 2% or whole milk (measured in above can)
  • 3 eggs
  • Caramel Sauce- 5 tablespoons (about half of 12.25 ounce jar of Smucker's Caramel Topping)
  • Ramekins- I used (5) six ounce ramekins from World Market, I only filled them up to the inner lip of the ramekin.
  • Whipped Cream for serving
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk, the regular milk, and eggs with a whisk until smooth. Keep whisking until you can not feel the heaviness of the sweetened condensed milk on the bottom of the bowl.
  2. Add a tablespoon of the Caramel Sauce to each ramekin, swirl around with a back of a spoon, to coat all sides.
  3. Add the milk mixture to the ramekins, I only filled them up to the inner lip, so it would be easier to remove later.
  4. Add about a half inch of water to the slow cooker.
  5. Add the ramekins, I had to stack the fifth ramekin on top, and it worked just fine.
  6. Cover, and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, this is when I check on the flans. The flans are ready when they begin to puff slightly. Mine puffed at 2 hours 15 minutes.
  7. Remove the flans carefully with a pot holder . Put the flans of a wire rack to cool in the fridge for 3 or more hours.
  8. After the flans cool completely, take a knife and swirl around the edge of the ramekin, and flip over on a little plate.
  9. Serve with a squirt of whipped cream. The spray can of whipped cream is actually really good on these, this is what restaurants do.

Back