Benefits of Low Sodium Diet

Barbara G.

Staff member
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 9 out of 10 Americans eat too much salt. Although sodium is essential for the body, a high-sodium poses many health risks. The American Heart Association has recommended a reduction in the amount of salt we consume in our daily lives. Here’s why you should consider doing so:

· Lowering salt intake reduces risk of high blood pressure which is a major cause of heart related diseases. A study finds that eating less salt in teen years decreases the risk of high blood pressure in adulthood.

· Low sodium intake is also recommended for teens who are obese or overweight. This helps slows down cell aging process and reduces risk of heart disease. On the contrary, eating too much salt results in faster cell aging process and may lead to heart diseases.

· Reducing salt consumption and increasing potassium intake instead is also found to have several health benefits. Research suggests that high potassium intake reduces stroke risk in adults by 24%.

· It is also worth noting that processed foods contain the highest amount of sodium. This can be avoided by eating home cooked meals and choosing healthier snacks such as apples instead of potato chips.

When I was carrying my children, I had to be on a really strict no sodium diet and that was really hard to do. Although, the health benefits were very important.

Seems I spend more time reading any new item I buy. Im use to a box now I see what goes in it and make from scratch. I have time , fun to do , yes cookings fun when you dont have responsible little ones??

There is a lot of information coming to light that says this is just not necessarily true. What is true is that Americans do tend to consume too much sodium because of all the fast food and processed foods we eat. However, sodium is important to the proper functioning of nerve and muscle cells. A diet that is too low in sodium can cause health concerns too. Possible symptoms of low sodium levels include muscle spasms, nausea, fatigue, irritability and headache. Without proper treatment low sodium can cause a person to experience confusion, hallucinations and a decreased level of consciousness, according to MedlinePlus. The altered level of consciousness may include stupor and coma. These brain complications occur because the low sodium levels cause the cells in the brain to swell.

There is a lot of information coming to light that says this is just not necessarily true. What is true is that Americans do tend to consume too much sodium because of all the fast food and processed foods we eat. However, sodium is important to the proper functioning of nerve and muscle cells. A diet that is too low in sodium can cause health concerns too. Possible symptoms of low sodium levels include muscle spasms, nausea, fatigue, irritability and headache. Without proper treatment low sodium can cause a person to experience confusion, hallucinations and a decreased level of consciousness, according to MedlinePlus. The altered level of consciousness may include stupor and coma. These brain complications occur because the low sodium levels cause the cells in the brain to swell.
Theresa, I agree. I did my masters degree thesis on sodium intake and high blood pressure and after much research it turned out that the newest studies show that our salt intake does not have much to do with high blood pressure at all. I had always thought that a lot of salt increased blood pressure but for most people it looks like this is not true anymore. Everybody should go by what their doctor says about how much salt they can safely consume and not cut out salt by trial and error. Of course going overboard and eating a ton of salt is not healthy for us either.

Different doctors will also have different theories about how much salt to have in the diet. The best thing is to find out what is best for your body.

When I was pregnant, I was told no sodium in the diet at all which was really hard to do. Recently, my cardiologist said to limit my sodium intake.

I guess this is an area which needs much more research and balance is key - enough sodium for the body, but not too much to do harm.

Thats true Barbara, its a controversial issue at best among doctors. Its amazing how things change over time as in when it supposed to be bad for us to eat too many eggs now my doctor is recommending two a day for protein.

I agree that you should listen to you doctor and use salt in moderation. Right now I am using Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. It's suppose to be better for you. I will do some more research and get back to everyone about this.

Back