- Stay Well Hydrated - Drink plenty of fluids; if you are sweating a lot, consider sports drinks to replace the salts and minerals.
- Cover Up in the Sun - Use sunscreen and wear loose, light-colored clothing as well as a brimmed hat.
- Limit Activity During the Hottest Part of the Day - Try not to be participating in outdoor activity during midday, which is the hottest part of the day. Pace yourself if you are exercising in the heat; you should not allow your heart rate to be pounding nor should you allow yourself to feel completely out of breath and gasping for air.
- If Indoors, Keep Your House Ventilated - If you are indoors and have no air-conditioning, open windows and use fans to circulate the air.
- Don’t Delay Getting Help for Symptoms - If you find yourself or someone else might be suffering from heat-related illness, move to a cooler shady place, lie down, drink some fluids, and call 911.