Avocados

christine

My nutritionist suggest that I eat more avocados, even for breakfast. I usually get them on sale, 2 for $3, but by the time I finish eating one the other one has gone bad. Does anyone know how to preserve avocados. In addition to weight loss from eating avocados, there are a plethora of benefits from consuming this green stuff. Here a link if you're interested.
http://www.undergroundhealth.com/15-amazing-health-benefits-of-eating-avocados/

Last edited:
I have a friend who swears by avocados for weight loss. She's lost 50+ lbs and she uses them for everything. She adds some to hamburgers like other would add lettuce. She also says they are great with bacon and mixed into salads. I am trying to lose a lot of weight but for some reason I have been hesitant to try these. I do like guacamole but have never eaten just an avocado. IN addition to preserving them, do any of you have any other tips for buying and using them?

I have a friend who swears by avocados for weight loss. She's lost 50+ lbs and she uses them for everything. She adds some to hamburgers like other would add lettuce. She also says they are great with bacon and mixed into salads. I am trying to lose a lot of weight but for some reason I have been hesitant to try these. I do like guacamole but have never eaten just an avocado. In addition to preserving them, do any of you have any other tips for buying and using them?

Thanks TheresL, it was very encouraging to read that your friend loss 50+ lbs from eating avocados. I've been eating them on the side with my eggs for breakfast. I guess I will have to start putting it in my salads as night as well. Unfortunately, I don't like guacamole.

Avocados have so many benefits and they're so versatile! Like you mentioned before, I've tried them in salads & as a topping on burgers. They're great. I've had the same problem though, with not using them before they go bad. My solution was to just buy them one at a time, or as many at a time if I was going to use them immediately. It's convenient for me because I pass a grocery store on my way home every night, so I could just pop in and grab one quickly if needed.

I found this how-to about preserving avocados through freezing, maybe it'll help: http://eatingrichly.com/04/how-to-preserve-avocados-in-the-freezer/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

avocado-heart-400x400.jpg

Thanks so much for the article ambersummer. I think that I am going to try it out. I'll start with one avocado and lemon juice to freeze. Great information. Thanks again.

Of course! Hope it works, christine. I usually freeze fruits and things when I have too many and won't use them before they go bad. Hope it works the same with veggies and avocados!

I live in a rural setting and only get into "town" twice a week. I have to buy enough to last so I don't make extra trips. Keeping avacados fresh is not easy, so I've heard. I'll have to get better at using them when I do get them.

I have to use them or lose them as well. But thanks to AmberSummer's post on how to preserve them, I won't lose them as fast. They are unlike other fruit (if you want to call avocados a fruit), that can sit for a few days before turning. However when I buy organic fruit, I can't wait as long- they ripen really fast compared to inorganic fruit.

When the avocados are inedible, I use avocados as a deep conditioner treatment in my hair. Just another way to not waste them even if I don't get a chance to eat them right away.

When the avocados are inedible, I use avocados as a deep conditioner treatment in my hair. Just another way to not waste them even if I don't get a chance to eat them right away.

What exactly do you do with them in order to use them in your hair and what benefits do you get from it? I wonder if they have benefits for the skin too?

Avocados are supposed to be really good for your hair; it helps hydrate and gives it a good shine. I have a friend with the longest hair and she swears by doing an "avocado mask." This link shows you a recipe for the hair mask, using a banana an avocado and olive oil. It also has a recipe for a face mask, saying it's really moisturizing for the skin too. I don't know anyone who's tried avocados on their skin, but it seems to be really popular for hair care.

Yes, it is very beneficial for your hair as well. I just mix avocados with olive oil and canned coconut milk leave in (depending on how busy I get) for 20 minutes to an hour. I rinse out really well and my hair is super soft and moisturized.

Yes, it is very beneficial for your hair as well. I just mix avocados with olive oil and canned coconut milk leave in (depending on how busy I get) for 20 minutes to an hour. I rinse out really well and my hair is super soft and moisturized.
Thanks for that suggestion. I have very dry hair so this might help.

Great TheresL, please let me know how your hair turns out. Just make sure you mix or blend it really well. It should be a yogurt type consistency.

Back