Are you getting enough calcium in your diet?

Barbara G.

Staff member
Currently, I am a stay at home mom. My daughter has needed a lot of medical care. I am also an x-ray tech and have done a lot of bone density studies in the past. So, it is always on my mind to be sure to get enough calcium in my diet.

Are you getting enough calcium in your diet?

I have a huge problem with this! I am slightly lactose intolerant. Some types of cheeses bother me, but any milk makes me feel sick the rest of the day. I take supplements, but I doubt they can replace calcium from a natural source.
What other ways can I get more calcium?

I am registered in the medical field as a radiology tech and have had training on bone density testing. When we do the tests, we are looking to make sure the body has gotten enough calcium and minerals (diet related). One can still have issues with bone density due to heredity and other factors, too. We regularly instructed patients on calcium in their diet.

I am home right now because of my daughter has required attention due to medical issues. Needless to say, there are a variety of things you can use to get calcium in the body through foods. I know not all of these will apply to you since you are lactose intolerant, but you may find some use of the list:

milk
yogurt
eggs
cottage cheese
ice cream
powdered milk
cheese
broccoli
kale cabbage
okra
turnip greens
spinach
alfalfa sprouts
asparagus
canned bamboo shoots
beets canned
carrots canned
celery
cauliflower
cucumber
eggplant
garlic
lettuce
mushrooms
mustard greens
onions
green chilies
tomatoes
green beans
potatoes
apple juice
avocado
banana
grapes
lemon
orange
pineapple
cherries
cranberries
watermelon
strawberries
pomegranates
apricots dried
acai berries
mangosteen
goji berries dried
blueberries
almonds
some meats and fish
soy beans
white beans
chickpeas
ginger root

Some sources are better than others in the amount of calcium you will get from a serving. Hope this helps you get a better idea of just how many foods can contain calcium.

This list makes me feel a lot better about my calcium intake. Many of them I eat almost every day, like spinach and kale. Yum! Thank you for this great list. I'm going to give myself a challenge to make a crock pot meal with items from this list! I'll post my results to the recipe thread later.

Back