Are We Getting Too Many Vitamins in Our Diet?

Geri K

Today more than ever, studies show, the average person is exposed to unusually high levels of vitamins and minerals. Already, more than half of all adults in the United States take a multivitamin or dietary supplement. Bread, milk and other foods are often fortified with folic acid, niacin and vitamins A and D.
A study published in July found that many people are exceeding the safe limits of nutrient intakes established by the Institute of Medicine. And research shows that people who take dietary supplements are often the ones who need them the least.
A study published this month analyzed 46 beverages — both with and without sugar — sold in supermarkets alongside bottled water. It found that many of these drinks contained vitamins B6, B12, niacin and vitamin C in quantities “well in excess” of the average daily requirements for young adults.

Eighteen of these drinks contained more than triple the daily requirement for B6. Eleven had more than three times the requirement for B12. And a half dozen had more than three times the requirement for niacin or riboflavin. Some of these products promised improvements in energy and immune function, while others promoted “performance and emotional benefits related to nutrient formulations that go beyond conventional nutritional science,” the researchers said.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/are-vitamin-drinks-putting-our-health-at-risk/?_r=0

I take supplements all the time. partly because I don't eat bread or milk.... I do know that vitamin d helped me avoid a deep gum cleaning as per my dentist.

Drinking plain water on a regular basis will help to eliminate getting too much from the "fortified" waters. Our dentist recommends staying away from the "fortified" ones period. Many of them have added sugars and people drink them through the day - giving their teeth a bath in sugar.

As far as supplements go, I am not really good about taking any vitamins. So for me, it is important to take in a well balanced diet. I try to keep a healthy mix and not eat too much of one thing per se.

It would be recommended to take a look at your diet and see if there really is a need to supplement.

Drinking plain water on a regular basis will help to eliminate getting too much from the "fortified" waters. Our dentist recommends staying away from the "fortified" ones period. Many of them have added sugars and people drink them through the day - giving their teeth a bath in sugar.

As far as supplements go, I am not really good about taking any vitamins. So for me, it is important to take in a well balanced diet. I try to keep a healthy mix and not eat too much of one thing per se.

It would be recommended to take a look at your diet and see if there really is a need to supplement.
I just drink plain water all the time and never bother with all these fancy waters that are out now. How do we know if we need to take a supplement or not? I know there is a lot of controversy on this subject but just want to know what you think about it. Carnation Instant Breakfast is the only thing I drink every day and I do not take vitamins in a pill form at all.

Here is a link to a table on WebMD which may be useful:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...mins-minerals-how-much-should-you-take?page=3

For some, it may be overwhelming to try to figure out if they are getting everything they need daily. But with a little research, we can learn about how to stay healthy and get the nutrients we need in our diet. I will plan to add some short articles which will be helpful here in the forums (foods which help us gain nutrients we need, vitamin specific articles, how to know if we are deficient, ect). It will take some time, but I will add this to my list of things to post in this section.

Becoming informed in nutrition is important especially if we do not take supplements in our daily lives. It becomes more important to know what a balanced diet is and what foods are needed to ensure we are getting what we need. I think this is an area all of us can learn more about and make healthier changes in our lives.

Thanks Barbara, I would really appreciate articles on getting the nutrients we need. I have been trying to figure this out myself for a while with little success. Looking forward to the articles when you get a chance.

Thanks Barbara. and you are right, "this is an area all of us can learn more about and make healthier changes in our lives".

Back