A Little of History About Crock Pots

MyDigitalpoint

The following is part of a review of materials used in cookware today, published by Michigan University Extension, and provided as a public property guide to safe cooking, but that is particularly interesting because talk about the origins of crock pots.

This is the reference:
Ceramic and Enameled Cookware

In 1830, a Bohemian craftsman found he could create a permanent, smooth, glassy surface on cast iron by finishing it with porcelain enamel. This highly durable glass is stain and scratch resistant and does not pick up food odors. Today, enamel-coated iron and steel provide colorful as well as practical additions to the cook's collection. Cookware made properly of enamel on these metals is safe to cook with, says Edward A. Steele, acting director, executive operations staff, in FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Steele says that because of the high firing temperatures required, lead---which could present a safety concern--is not used in the enamel for this cookware.

Lead, however, is used in some glazes for slow-cooking pots (crock-pots). But, in tests done in 1987, FDA found that the amount of lead that leached into food from these pots did not exceed FDA standards.

For the full review guide please follow this link, http://www.msue.msu.edu/objects/con...sion_id.499708/workspace_id.-4/01500616.html/

Last edited:
Does anyone know if lead is still found in crockpots made today? What is the acceptable or FDA standard for lead? I hope it is zero!

Does anyone know if lead is still found in crockpots made today? What is the acceptable or FDA standard for lead? I hope it is zero!
That's a very good question, Mindy. Hopefully someone will come along with an answer!!

The following is part of a review of materials used in cookware today, published by Michigan University Extension, and provided as a public property guide to safe cooking, but that is particularly interesting because talk about the origins of crock pots.

This is the reference:

For the full review guide please follow this link, http://www.msue.msu.edu/objects/con...sion_id.499708/workspace_id.-4/01500616.html/
My friend, you have really done your research. Thanks for sharing this insightful information. I will be careful to share it also. Lead is a concern for all of us cooks, because too much lead does lead to alterations of our behavior (more aggression they say). Imagine growing our kids from 1 to 18 years old, on lead!:(

Back