5 Easy Ways to Reduce Salt in Your Diet

Barbara G.

Staff member
Salt has been part of our diet since the first day of human existence. It does not only add flavor to our food but it is also essential to our survival. Without salt, or having not enough of it, in our bodies can be fatal. But that’s no cause for alarm as salt is everywhere; It is literally everywhere - the sea is not the only place where salt is. Every living thing contains salt too. Plants, trees, animals all have it. Therefore it can be said that salt is naturally-occurring and the human habit of adding salt to food is an acquired taste. There is no harm in this per se; it is in having too much that can result to all kinds of health problems. It is therefore important to watch our salt intake.

Here are 5 easy steps to do that.

1. Everything fresh. When meat, fruits, and vegetables are garden-fresh, they contain sodium naturally. They actually taste better and will not normally require added salt.

2. Read before you buy. When shopping for food, don’t forget to read the label. Watch for the word “sodium” as most products will state salt on their labels.

3. Choose the lowest. Take the time to look for products with low “sodium” contents.

4. Know what’s behind the menu. Don’t just settle for what’s written on the menu when you’re dining out. Look for health conscious restaurants or fast foods. There’s a big chance that the food they serve are purposely prepared with lower salt content.

5. Reduce. Since adding salt to our food is an acquired taste, we can teach our taste buds to adjust. After a few weeks, the food you eat with lower salt content will not taste much different from the salty food you used to have.

These steps may be so simple that it’s easy to overlook their significance. For some it can be hard to follow. Compared to the trouble of “going in and out of the hospital” and missing out on life due to heath issues, I dare say that reducing on salt is worth the “trouble.”

How do you reduce salt in your diet? We would love to hear your ideas!

I use morton salt substitute. I got used to it after a while and do not ever use real salt any more. Its made of postassium and I have never heard of it having any bad effects on the body. For someone who cant give up the taste of salt this is the way to go.

Salt has been part of our diet since the first day of human existence. It does not only add flavor to our food but it is also essential to our survival. Without salt, or having not enough of it, in our bodies can be fatal. But that’s no cause for alarm as salt is everywhere; It is literally everywhere - the sea is not the only place where salt is. Every living thing contains salt too. Plants, trees, animals all have it. Therefore it can be said that salt is naturally-occurring and the human habit of adding salt to food is an acquired taste. There is no harm in this per se; it is in having too much that can result to all kinds of health problems. It is therefore important to watch our salt intake.

Here are 5 easy steps to do that.

1. Everything fresh. When meat, fruits, and vegetables are garden-fresh, they contain sodium naturally. They actually taste better and will not normally require added salt.

2. Read before you buy. When shopping for food, don’t forget to read the label. Watch for the word “sodium” as most products will state salt on their labels.

3. Choose the lowest. Take the time to look for products with low “sodium” contents.

4. Know what’s behind the menu. Don’t just settle for what’s written on the menu when you’re dining out. Look for health conscious restaurants or fast foods. There’s a big chance that the food they serve are purposely prepared with lower salt content.

5. Reduce. Since adding salt to our food is an acquired taste, we can teach our taste buds to adjust. After a few weeks, the food you eat with lower salt content will not taste much different from the salty food you used to have.

These steps may be so simple that it’s easy to overlook their significance. For some it can be hard to follow. Compared to the trouble of “going in and out of the hospital” and missing out on life due to heath issues, I dare say that reducing on salt is worth the “trouble.”

How do you reduce salt in your diet? We would love to hear your ideas!
I use morton salt substitute. I got used to it after a while and do not ever use real salt any more. Its made of postassium and I have never heard of it having any bad effects on the body. For someone who cant give up the taste of salt this is the way to go.

I used Pink Himalayan Sea Salt. It was highly recommended by the manager of my favorite health food store.

Back