What's your favorite chili recipe?

Joshua Shane

One thing we make every week in my kitchen is chili. I really like making things from scratch, as often as possible. I am the type of person who buys the vegetables that look the best, and add those to my dishes.

Today, we had some corn and squash. I added these to the onions and garlic, I saute before adding them, and the beans, to the crock pot. I think they added a really nice balance to the spice of the jalapenos and ground cayenne. Today, we also switched it up from our usual black, red and chick peas, to white, roman, black, and red beans. To finish it off, we added a big scoop of my homemade tomato sauce and a bit of water. I set it on high and taste it every hour, if I want it quick; if I'm taking my time, I'll leave it on low all day.

What do you like in your chili?

While I was in college, I came up with a quick way to make chili and have used the recipe as a base to make some different variations:

Ground Beef
Can of beans - ranch style, red kidney, or beans of choice
One jar of pace picante sauce
Onions
Stewed tomatoes
Green bell peppers
Chili seasoning to taste
Dash Worchester sauce
Three beef bullion cubes
Mrs. Dash
Black Pepper

Every time I make the chili, it may be varied some from these ingredients but this is where I start. It is quick and easy chili to make for the stove or the crockpot.

Back