What, exactly, is autoshift?

Susan Mann

I mentioned in one of my postings that I love the auto shift function on my largest crockpot. It seems one recurring question in any discussion about crockpots is, "What exactly is auto shift mode?"

Well, I no longer have the directions for my twenty-year-old crockpot. And, if I do, it is put away in one of those safe places we all have where things end up and we never see them again!

So, I decided to find out exactly what this setting means, since I use it all the time.

Most people start cooking on high, and then turn the setting to medium or low. According to what I have read, with auto shift, the pot stays on High until it boils or a pre-set time has gone by, then it shifts to Low. I think mine switches when it boils, but I could be wrong. Those with a pre-set time for the auto shift change after either two or three hours.

One reason I use this so frequently is that I do not have to worry about food over cooking. I can leave the food in over-night or all day.

I did a quite lengthy search for new crockpots with auto shift and could not find any. Do any of you have a newer crockpot or slow cooker with the auto shift setting?

My crockpot doesn't call it "autoshift" but that's what it does. I can set it for 2,4,6, or 8 hours. Once that amount of time has passed, it automatically shifts to a "warm" mode. I assume this is different than simply low because I also have the option of setting the timed cooking for "high" or "low."

Back