What Can you I Eat if You Have Diabetes?

Barbara G.

Staff member
Living with diabetes is not the end of the road for you. Certainly you can still enjoy life and have that kind of freedom when it comes to the food that you eat, and yes, even the food that you like to eat. It is just a matter of knowing the right stuff. Sometimes the dos and don’ts can make you feel compelled in a certain way and this results to indifference towards following your own diet. But it is all in your hands. You can be diabetic and still be in control.

The importance of eating a balanced diabetic diet for you is mandatory. This much you should acknowledge, understand and accept. If you are able to do this, then you are ready to rock in roll! Let us make this simple for you. One basic thing to remember is how a rise in your blood sugar level can be detrimental to your health.

In our daily diet, carbohydrates dominate our plate most of the time. But carbohydrates mean sugar. So what to do? Here are three things that you have to remember when planning your diet.

Watch your carbs. There are certain foods that are almost immediately being converted to sugar and which automatically gives your sugar count a quick spike. Carbohydrates are classified into two: simple and complex. Simple carbs are those that include dairy products, sugar, honey, some fruits and fruit juices. Complex carbohydrates are starch which includes grain products like bread, crackers, rice and pasta.

There are vegetables that produce starch. We can’t be too careless about the vegetables that we include in our diet. Naturally we would think that vegetables are generally healthy. Well in the case of diabetics, not all vegetables are good for you. Potatoes, dried beans, yams and sweet potatoes, corns and peas, squash, are but a few in the list. If you really pay attention to these things, it will later be easy to spot which is which and it will no longer be too much of a chore for you to refer to your list.

Carbs are important. We cannot do without it. We need it for our energy. Surely we can take it from fat and protein but really there’s nothing like the energy that you will get from carbohydrates. Make it your goal therefore to take just enough carbs but never too much.We don’t want high blood sugars.

There are plenty of other things really to watch out for when you’re trying to manage diabetes. But you can start with these three things to remember, and as you go along, you will find it enjoyable exploring alternatives for your meals. It shouldn’t be boring and bland for you. A little creativity can go a long, long way.

Did you know that simply sauteing a spinach, adding a little bit of olive oil in it and some tomatoes and onions will make a profoundly well meal?

This is good information. I was trying to find out what vegetables have the most starch and this post answers that question. It makes me sad that corn is included in the list since corn on the cob is a favorite.

I tried cutting carbs from my diet, but when I had a little of carbs I surprisingly felt the difference. Thank you for this valuable information Barbara. I will be sure to implement this into my diet.

Back