Thanks for checking out CrockPotTalk - Crockpot & Slow Cooker Forum!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options. If you take a few seconds and Sign up you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other CrockPotTalk - Crockpot & Slow Cooker Forum members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • To many membership perks to list! Join today for free!

Washing Raw Chicken can Increase Cross Contamination

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Slowcookmama, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Slowcookmama

Slowcookmama Active Member Member

I usually wash my chicken in a strainer before cooking. Now researchers are stating that this method can increase the risk of cross contamination. Washing raw chicken increases the risk of people developing food poisoning. I'm not really sold on the idea due to the fact that I have been washing my raw chicken for years without incident.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ken-Cross-Contamination-Drexel-220340821.html

2. Avatar

Sponsor Site Advertisement

3. Cooking_Queen

Cooking_Queen Member Member

I never have washed my chicken before using it and actually never knew that people did. I have never had a problem with salmonella poisoning, although I always make sure to clean up after chicken juice or raw chicken touches anything.

Oddly enough, I even own an iguana and have never run into any types of salmonella problems. Maybe I am lucky or maybe sometimes people over think it.

Slowcookmama likes this.
  4. christine

christine Active Member Member

I have never encountered a problem with washing chicken before cooking. However, I do make sure that I thoroughly clean the area and surround area once I'm through. My mother soaks her chicken in vinegar to kill the germs. I have to get her exact recipe for that.

Slowcookmama likes this.
  5. Geri K

Geri K Active Member Member

I always rinse off the chicken before use and never had any problems. Seems like anymore anything that we do is bad for us. I would just keep washing it off if you have done so for years and not worry about it.

6. Barbara G.

Barbara G. Moderator Staff Member Member

I wash mine, too. I like to clean the chicken up a little more and remove any hairs, ect. that were missed.

7. Avatar

Sponsor Site Advertisement

8. christine

christine Active Member Member